On the effect of the geographical scope of agglomeration economies on firm location
AbstractThis article analyses how agglomeration economies shaped the location decisions of new manufacturing start-ups in Catalan municipalities in 2001-2005. We estimate whether the locations of new firms are spatially autocorrelated and whether this phenomenon is industry-specific. Our aim is to estimate the geographical scope of agglomeration economies on firm entries. The data set comes from a compulsory register of manufacturing establishments (REIC: Catalan Manufacturing Establishments Register). JEL classification: R1, R3 Keywords: firm location; spatial autocorrelation
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2072/151542.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Localització industrial; Economia regional; Catalunya; 332 - Economia regional i territorial. Economia del sòl i de la vivenda;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
- R3 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Liviano Solís, Daniel & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2008.
"Empirical studies in industrial location: an assessment of their methods and results,"
2072/9257, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod & Daniel Liviano-Solis & Miguel Manjón-Antolín, 2010. "Empirical Studies In Industrial Location: An Assessment Of Their Methods And Results," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 685-711.
- Simon Sanchez Moral, 2009. "Industrial Clusters and New Firm Creation in the Manufacturing Sector of Madrid's Metropolitan Region," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(7), pages 949-965.
- Corinne Autant-Bernard, 2006. "Where Do Firms Choose to Locate Their R&D? A Spatial Conditional Logit Analysis on French Data," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(9), pages 1187-1208, May.
- Salvador Barrios & Luisito Bertinelli & Eric Strobl & Antonio Carlos Teixeira, 2009. "Spatial Distribution of Manufacturing Activity and its Determinants: A Comparison of Three Small European Countries," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(5), pages 721-738.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2007.
"A note on spatial autocorrelation at a local level,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(9), pages 667-671.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria, 2005. "A note on Spatial Autocorrelation at a Local Level," Working Papers 2072/1753, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2004. "Evidence on the nature and sources of agglomeration economies," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2119-2171 Elsevier.
- Jahyeong Koo & Yune Lee, 2006. "Do historical events matter in geographic agglomeration? The case of South Korea," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(15), pages 1013-1016.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2001. "The Determinants of Agglomeration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 191-229, September.
- Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal, 2004. "Agglomeration economies and industrial location: city-level evidence," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(5), pages 565-582, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariadna Casals).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.