Subsampling the mean of heavy-tailed dependent observations
AbstractWe establish the validity of subsampling confidence intervals for the mean of a dependent series with heavy-tailed marginal distributions. Using point process theory, we study both linear and nonlinear GARCH-like time series models. We propose a data-dependent method for the optimal block size selection and investigate its performance by means of a simulation study.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 600.
Date of creation: Feb 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Heavy tails; linear time series; subsampling;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2002-02-22 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2002-02-15 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-IAS-2002-02-15 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2002-02-15 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- Cline, Daren B. H. & Brockwell, Peter J., 1985. "Linear prediction of ARMA processes with infinite variance," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 281-296, April.
- McElroy, Tucker & Politis, Dimitris N., 2002. "Robust Inference For The Mean In The Presence Of Serial Correlation And Heavy-Tailed Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(05), pages 1019-1039, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.