Concentration among the Rich
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to examine the concentration of wealth among the group of top wealth holders, defined as those with wealth in excess of a high cut off. The paper begins by considering the definition of this cut off, analogous to the definition of a poverty line at the other end of the distribution. It then considers what can be learned about the proportion classified as ?rich? and about the concentration among the rich from four non-survey sources: journalists? lists, estate data, wealth tax data, and investment income tax data. It starts off from the world?s billionaires in 2006, but is particularly concerned with changes over time within countries, taking France, Germany, the UK, and the USA, to illustrate the different sources.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number RP2006/151.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
wealth; inequality; assets; rich;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wojciech Kopczuk & Emmanuel Saez, 2004.
"Top Wealth Shares in the United States: 1916-2000: Evidence from Estate Tax Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
10399, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kopczuk, Wojciech & Saez, Emmanuel, 2004. "Top Wealth Shares in the United States, 1916-2000: Evidence from Estate Tax Returns," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 57(2), pages 445-87, June.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1969.
"Distribution of Income and Wealth among Individuals,"
Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 382-97, July.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1967. "Distribution of Income and Wealth Among Individuals," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 238, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Matti Tuomala & Jouko Vilmunen, 1988. "On the trends over time in the degree of concentration of wealth in Finland," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 184-190, Autumn.
- Eva Sierminska & Andrea Brandolini & Timothy Smeeding, 2006. "The Luxembourg Wealth Study – A cross-country comparable database for household wealth research," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 375-383, December.
- Jenkins, Stephen P, 1990. " The Distribution of Wealth: Measurement and Models," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(4), pages 329-60.
- Hansson, Åsa, 2002. "The Wealth Tax and Economic Growth," Working Papers 2002:20, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Piketty, Thomas & Postel-Vinay, Gilles & Rosenthal, Jean Laurent, 2004.
"Wealth Concentration in a Developing Economy: Paris and France, 1807-1994,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4631, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Piketty & Gilles Postel-Vinay & Jean-Laurent Rosenthal, 2006. "Wealth Concentration in a Developing Economy: Paris and France, 1807–1994," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 236-256, March.
- Thomas Piketty & Gilles Postel-Vinay & Jean-Laurent Rosenthal, 2005. "Wealth concentration in a developing economy : Paris and France, 1807-1994," Research Unit Working Papers 0504, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Charles Stewart, 1939. "Income Capitalization as a Method of Estimating the Distribution of Wealth by Size Groups," NBER Chapters, in: Studies in Income and Wealth, Volume 3, pages 95-146 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rubinstein, William D, 1971. "Occupations Among British Millionaires, 1857-1969," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 17(4), pages 375-78, December.
- Lindh, Thomas & Ohlsson, Henry, 1998. "Self-Employment and Wealth Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(1), pages 25-42, March.
- Davies, James B. & Shorrocks, Anthony F., 2000. "The distribution of wealth," Handbook of Income Distribution, in: A.B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon (ed.), Handbook of Income Distribution, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 605-675 Elsevier.
- Sen, Pranab Kumar, 1988. "The harmonic Gini coefficient and affluence indexes," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 65-76, August.
- Menchik, Paul L, 1980. "Primogeniture, Equal Sharing, and the U. S. Distribution of Wealth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(2), pages 299-316, March.
- Atkinson, A B & Harrison, Alan J, 1975. "Mortality Multipliers and the Estate Duty Method," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 37(1), pages 13-28, February.
- Blinder, Alan S, 1973. "A Model of Inherited Wealth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 608-26, November.
- A. W. Dilnot, 1990. "The Distribution and Composition of Personal Sector Wealth in Australia," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 23(1), pages 33-40.
- Wolff, Edward N, 1996. "International Comparisons of Wealth Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(4), pages 433-51, December.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Gordon, James P F & Harrison, Alan, 1989. "Trends in the Shares of Top Wealth-Holders in Britain, 1923-1981," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(3), pages 315-32, August.
- Jeffrey Thompson & Timothy M. Smeeding, 2010. "Recent Trends in the Distribution of Income: Labor, Wealth and More Complete Measures of Well Being," Working Papers wp225, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Frank A Cowell & Eleni Karagiannaki & Abigail McKnight, 2012.
"Mapping and measuring the distribution of household wealth: A cross-country analysis,"
/165, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Frank Cowell & Eleni Karagiannaki & Abigail McKnight, 2012. "Mapping and measuring the distribution of household wealth: a cross-country analysis," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51288, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Waldenström, Daniel & Ohlsson, Henry & Roine, Jesper, 2007.
"Long-Run Changes in the Concentration of Wealth: An Overview of Recent Findings,"
Working Paper Series
699, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ohlsson, Henry & Roine, Jesper & Waldenstrom, Daniel, 2006. "Long-Run Changes in the Concentration of Wealth: An Overview of Recent Findings," Working Paper Series RP2006/103, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Frank Cowell & Karagiannaki, E. (Eleni) & Abigail Mcknight, 2012. "GINI DP 71: Mapping and Measuring the Distribution of Household Wealth: A Cross-Country Analysis," GINI Discussion Papers 71, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- repec:cep:sticas:case165 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.