Social Democratic and Socialist Policies
AbstractIn this Working Paper, also an entry for the International Encyclopedia of Public Policy, John King begins with a brief discussion of the meaning of ‘socialism’ and ‘social democracy,’ from their nineteenth-century origins down to the present day. He then discusses socialist economic policies under six headings: the case for public ownership; the importance of macroeconomic stability; the demands of social justice; arguments for tax reform; the need for environmental sustainability; and the obligation to exercise international responsibility. He concludes that socialist and social democratic policies offer a genuine intellectual alternative to neoliberalism.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst in its series Working Papers with number wp191.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
social democracy; economic policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B14 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Socialist; Marxist
- B24 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Socialist; Marxist; Scraffian
- B51 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Socialist; Marxian; Sraffian
- P2 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies
- P3 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Paul, 1972. "Money and the Real World," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 101-15, March.
- L. Randall Wray, 1998.
- Victor, Peter A. & Rosenbluth, Gideon, 2007. "Managing without growth," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 492-504, March.
- Leanne Ussher, 2007. "International Price Stability, Full Employment and Global Balances: The Case for a Commodity Reserve Currency," Working Papers 0001 Classification- JEL:, Department of Economics, Queens College of the City University of New York, revised Mar 2008.
- James Meade., . "Agathotopia," Hume Papers 16, David Hume Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Judy Fogg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.