Performance Measurement Systems in Theatres: The Case of the Municipal Theatre of Ferrara
AbstractIn recent years, cultural organisations have introduced and tested new management tools to achieve their institutional goals of efficiency, effectiveness and social cohesion. This process has been widely linked to New Public Management for public sector cultural organisations, but the introduction of these tools has been an interesting process in private cultural organisations too. This paper aims at considering more specifically one kind of management tools: performance measurement systems. Their goal is to give to the management a set of information of quantitative and qualitative nature that could guide the strategic choices in the long-term. With this work, we will consider the real possibilities of application of a good performance measurement system in cultural organisations, with a particular focus on theatres. Our research starts with the analysis of the theoretical framework of performance measurement systems and theatres management. The theoretical approach is supported by the analysis of a case study, the Municipal Theatre of Ferrara (Italy). In this way, we will try to verify and discuss opportunities and critical points implied by the introduction of a performance measurement system in theatres.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Ferrara, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 201120.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 30 Nov 2011
Date of revision:
New Public Management; Management Tools; Performance Measurement; Theatres; Municipal Theatre of Ferrara;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H83 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - Public Administration
- L30 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - General
- M10 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - General
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
- Z11 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economics of the Arts and Literature
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Higson, Chris, 2001. "Intangibles: Management, Measurement, and Reporting: by Baruch Lev, Washington, DC, Brookings Institution Press, 2001, pp. viii+216," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 501-503, 012.
- Peacock, Alan T, 1969. "Welfare Economics and Public Subsidies to the Arts," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 37(4), pages 323-35, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alberto Benati).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.