Global Imbalances and the Financial Crisis
AbstractDid global imbalances cause the financial crisis? A number of influential figures have argued that inflows of foreign capital into the US due to the current account deficit helped to trigger the crisis. This paper argues that the evidence for this position is weak. The capital inflows into the US associated with the current account deficit were also not the key factor driving foreign purchases of US toxic assets. The so-called global savings glut was not as significant a pattern as is often presented. Macroeconomic policies that reduced global imbalances could have been adopted but these would probably not have prevented the crisis. Global policy efforts to prevent a recurrence of the financial crisis need to focus on improved banking regulation. Reducing global imbalances should be of secondary importance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School Of Economics, University College Dublin in its series Working Papers with number 201013.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 15 Apr 2010
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-05-15 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2010-05-15 (Central Banking)
- NEP-OPM-2010-05-15 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
- NEP-REG-2010-05-15 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abdala Rioja, Yamile E, 2011. "All Things Considered: The Interaction of the Reasons for the Financial Crisis," MPRA Paper 33408, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Whalley & Manmohan Agarwal & Jing Wang & Sean Walsh & Chen Yan, 2011. "Linking External Sector Imbalances and Changing Financial Instability before the 2008 Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 17645, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pasquale Tridico, 2011. "Varieties of capitalism and responses to the Financial Crisis: the European social Model versus the US Model," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0129, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.