The SocialWelfare Pensions in Ireland: Pensioner Poverty and Gender
AbstractThis paper examines changes to value of the state pensions and poverty rates for older men and women during the two terms of the Fianna Fáil — Progressive Democrat coalition government in Ireland between 1997 and 2007. It is shown that despite consistent increases in the value of the state pensions relative to earnings, poverty increased during the initial years of the period only to fall dramatically thereafter. While the increase in poverty at the 50 per cent median income rate between 1997 and 2001 was experienced disproportionately by women, there has also been an important gender dimension to the reduction in poverty amongst the over 65s since 2001. Since 2003, women have been no more likely than men to fall below the 50 per cent of median income poverty line or to fall below the 60 per cent line since 2004. However, analysis of data from the 2006 Irish release of the EU Survey of Income and Living Conditions shows that older women remained more likely than men to experience poverty as measured at 70 per cent of median income. A logistic regression model is used to identify underlying differences in poverty rates between men and women after adjusting for other independent variables. The results show that after adjusting for differences in occupation, household composition, geography and health status, the odds of a woman falling below the 70 per cent median income line remained 1.25 times that of a man.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Geary Institute, University College Dublin in its series Working Papers with number 200902.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 13 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2009-01-24 (European Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2009-01-24 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brian Nolan & Helen Russell, 2000.
"Non-Cash Benefits and Poverty in Ireland,"
WP130, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Peter Saunders & Bruce Bradbury, 2006. "Monitoring Trends in Poverty and Income Distribution: Data, Methodology and Measurement," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(258), pages 341-364, 09.
- Michael Fuchs & Aaron George Grech & Asghar Zaidi, 2006.
"Pension Policy in EU25 and its Possible Impact on Elderly Poverty,"
case116, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Asghar Zaidi & Aaron George Grech & Michael Fuchs, 2006. "Pension policy in EU25 and its possible impact on elderly poverty," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6225, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 2002. "Do we need a separate poverty measurement?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 61-85, March.
- Whitehouse, Edward, 2006. "New indicators of 30 OECD countries' pension systems," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(03), pages 275-298, November.
- Callan, Tim & Nolan, Brian, 1991.
" Concepts of Poverty and the Poverty Line,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 243-61.
- Tim Callan & Brian Nolan & Christopher Whelan, 1991. "Resources, Deprivation and the Measurement of Poverty. Published in Journal of Social Policy, 1993, Vol 22 No 2," Papers WP021, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Whelan, Christopher T. & Nolan, Brian & Maitre, Bertrand, 2005. "Trends in Welfare for Vulnerable Groups, Ireland 1994-2001," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS56, September.
- Nolan, Brian & Gannon, Brenda & Layte, Richard & Watson, Dorothy & Whelan, Christopher T. & Williams, James, 2002. "Monitoring Poverty Trends in Ireland: Results from the 2000 Living in Ireland survey," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS45, September.
- Maitre, Bertrand & Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 2006. "Reconfiguring the Measurement of Deprivation and Consistent Poverty in Ireland," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS58, September.
- Whelan, Christopher T. & Layte, Richard & Maitre, Bertrand & Gannon, Brenda & Nolan, Brian & Watson, Dorothy & Williams, James, 2003. "Monitoring Poverty trends in Ireland: Results from the 2001 Living in Ireland Survey," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS51, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geary Tech).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.