Concepts of Poverty and the Poverty Line
AbstractVarious approaches adopted in developed economies to distinguishing between the poor and non-poor--to setting a poverty line--are reviewed. These include the budget standard, food ratio, "official," subjective and relative poverty line methods, as well as the analysis of indicators of deprivation. There has been significant progress in recent years in the degree of sophistication involved, and a movement away from approaches with a quasi-absolute background. However, all the methods face formidable problems at conceptual and empirical levels, and no single approach is likely to dominate. Copyright 1991 by Blackwell Publishers Ltd
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) in its series Papers with number WP002.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Jun 1987
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goedhart, T. & Halberstadt, V. & Praag, B.M.S. van & Kapteyn, A.J., 1977. "The poverty line: Concept and measurement," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-361898, Tilburg University.
- Hagenaars, Aldi J M & van Praag, Bernard M S, 1985. "A Synthesis of Poverty Line Definitions," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 31(2), pages 139-54, June.
- van Praag, Bernard M S & Hagenaars, Aldi J M & van Weeren, Hans, 1982. "Poverty in Europe," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 28(3), pages 345-59, September.
- Wasiu Adekunle Are, 2012. "Growth and Income Redistribution Components of Changes in Poverty: A Decomposition Analysis for Ireland, 1987-2005," Working Papers 201231, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Georges Heinrich, 1998. "Changing Times, Testing Times: A Bootstrap Analysis of Poverty and Inequality using the PACO Database," CERT Discussion Papers 9802, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Cowell, Frank A. & Victoria-Feser, Maria-Pia, 1996. "Poverty measurement with contaminated data: A robust approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1761-1771, December.
- Glauben, Thomas & Herzfeld, Thomas & Rozelle, Scott & Wang, Xiaobing, 2012. "Persistent Poverty in Rural China: Where, Why, and How to Escape?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 784-795.
- Ingrid Woolard & Murray Leibbrandt, 1999. "Measuring Poverty in South Africa," Working Papers 99033, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
- David Madden, 2002. "A Review of Recent Research into Poverty in Ireland," Working Papers 200232, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Tim Callan & Brian Nolan, 1988. "Poverty and the Social Welfare System in Ireland: Policy Implications," Papers WP008, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Rod Hick, 2009. "The SocialWelfare Pensions in Ireland: Pensioner Poverty and Gender," Working Papers 200902, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Tim Callan & Brian Nolan, 1992. "Low Pay, Poverty and Social Security," Papers WP036, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Kanbur, Ravi & Squire, Lyn, 1999. "The Evolution of Thinking About Poverty: Exploring the Interactions," Working Papers 127697, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Tim Callan & Brian Nolan, 1993. "Income Inequality and Poverty in Ireland in the 1970s and 1980s," Papers WP043, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Brian Nolan & Bertrand Maitre, 1999. "The Distribution of Income and Relative Income Poverty in the European Community Household Panel," Papers WP107, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Christophe Muller, 2006.
"Defining Poverty Lines As a Fraction of Central Tendency,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 720-729, January.
- Christophe Muller, 2005. "Defining Poverty Lines As A Fraction Of Central Tendency," Working Papers. Serie AD 2005-13, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Richard Layte & Brian Nolan & Christopher T. Whelan, 2001. "Reassessing Income and Deprivation Approaches to the Measurement of Poverty in the Republic of Ireland," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 32(3), pages 239â261.
- Nolan, Brian & Gannon, Brenda & Layte, Richard & Watson, Dorothy & Whelan, Christopher T. & Williams, James, 2002. "Monitoring Poverty Trends in Ireland: Results from the 2000 Living in Ireland survey," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS45.
- Brian Nolan & Tim Callan, 1988. "Measuring Trends in Poverty over Time: Some Robust Results for Ireland 1980-1987," Papers WP007, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Brian Nolan & Gerard Hughes, 1997. "Low Pay, the Earnings Distribution and Poverty in Ireland, 1987-1994: Paper for LOWER Conference on Problems of Low-Wage Employment 31 January - 1 February, Bordeaux," Papers WP084, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Thesia I. Garner & Kathleen Short, 2005. "Personal Assessments of Minimum Income and Expenses: What Do They Tell Us about 'Minimum Living' Thresholds and Equivalence Scales?," Working Papers 379, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Carlos C. Bautista, 2010. "Subjective poverty thresholds in the Philippines," Philippine Review of Economics, University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society, vol. 47(1), pages 147-155, June.
- Brendan J. Whelan & Brian Nolan & Tim Callan, 1989. "Panel Research on Poverty in Ireland," Papers WP014, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Hillringhaus, Tilman & Peichl, Andreas, 2010. "Die Messung von Armut unter Berücksichtigung regional divergierender Lebenshaltungskosten und öffentlicher Leistungen," IZA Discussion Papers 5344, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Brian Nolan, 1997. "Collecting and Using Survey Information on Household Assets: Some Lessons from Irish Experience," Papers WP086, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- David Madden, 1997. "A Comparison of Poverty and Welfare Measures," Working Papers 199710, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & Paul Frijters, 1999. "The measurement of welfare and well-being; the Leyden approach," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 071a, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.