Do Private Equity Firms Foster Innovation? Evidence from French LBOs
AbstractAgency theory has historically presented buyouts as a superior governance framework that generates economic efficiencies in the short term but these transactions might have a negative impact on long-term growth and innovation. In this study, we use a strategic entrepreneurship perspective to argue that private equity firm's extensive network and relationships, and expertise and competencies help managers to innovate. Using a propensity score methodology, we provide an empirical analysis of the innovative efforts of a sample of 89 French manufacturing firms that underwent a buyout between 2001 and 2005. The matching estimates (average treatment on the treated, ATT) of the effect of LBOs on firm level of innovation expenditures in 2006 show no significant differences between LBO targets and comparable companies that did not go through an LBO. In contrast, we find significant effects of LBOs on both service innovation and marketing innovations in design and packaging and product promotion. Results suggest that private equity firms provide marketing capabilities or encourage managers of LBO targets to build new innovation strategies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS in its series Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) with number 201209.
Date of creation: Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) – Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 RENNES Cedex
Phone: 02 23 23 35 47
Fax: (33) 2 23 23 35 99
Web page: http://crem.univ-rennes1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) - Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 Rennes Cedex - France
Other versions of this item:
- Anne-Laure Le Nadant & Frédéric Perdreau, 2011. "Do Private Equity Firms Foster Innovation? Evidence from French LBOs," Post-Print halshs-00773693, HAL.
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2012-02-20 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2012-02-20 (Innovation)
- NEP-SBM-2012-02-20 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zahra, Shaker A., 1995. "Corporate entrepreneurship and financial performance: The case of management leveraged buyouts," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 225-247, May.
- Wright, Mike & Thompson, Steve & Robbie, Ken, 1992. "Venture capital and management-led, leveraged buy-outs: A European perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 47-71, January.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2008.
"Some Practical Guidance For The Implementation Of Propensity Score Matching,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 31-72, 02.
- Caliendo, Marco & Kopeinig, Sabine, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," IZA Discussion Papers 1588, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 485, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Cumming, Douglas & Siegel, Donald S. & Wright, Mike, 2007. "Private equity, leveraged buyouts and governance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 439-460, September.
- Bruining, H. & Wright, D.M., 2002.
"Entrepreneurial Orientation In Management Buy-Outs And The Contribution Of Venture Capital,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2002-67-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Hans Bruining & Mike Wright, 2002. "Entrepreneurial orientation in management buy-outs and the contribution of venture capital," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 147-168, April.
- Malone, Stewart C., 1989. "Characteristics of smaller company leveraged buyouts," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(5), pages 349-359, September.
- Meuleman,M. & Amess, K. & Wright, M. & Scholes, L., 2008. "Agency, strategic entrepreneurship and the performance of private equity backed buyouts," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2008-05, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Josh Lerner & Morten Sørensen & Per Strömberg, 2008.
"Private Equity and Long-Run Investment: The Case of Innovation,"
NBER Working Papers
14623, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Josh Lerner & Morten Sorensen & Per Strömberg, 2011. "Private Equity and Long‐Run Investment: The Case of Innovation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(2), pages 445-477, 04.
- Lerner, Josh & Strömberg, Per & Sörensen, Morten, 2009. "Private Equity and Long-Run Investment: The Case of Innovation," SIFR Research Report Series 66, Institute for Financial Research.
- Anne-Laure Le Nadant & Frédéric Perdreau, 2006.
"Financial profile of leveraged buy-out targets: some French evidence,"
Review of Accounting and Finance,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(4), pages 370-392, November.
- Anne-Laure Le Nadant & Frédéric Perdreau, 2006. "Financial Profile of Leveraged Buyout Targets: Some French Evidence," Post-Print halshs-00522624, HAL.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Siegel, Donald, 1990.
"The effects of leveraged buyouts on productivity and related aspects of firm behavior,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 165-194, September.
- Frank R Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1989. "The Effects Of Leveraged Buyouts On Productivity And Related Aspects Of Firm Behavior," Working Papers 89-5, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1991. "The Effects of Leveraged Buyouts on Productivity and Related Aspects of Firm Behavior," NBER Working Papers 3022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boucly, Quentin & Sraer, David & Thesmar, David, 2011. "Growth LBOs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 432-453.
- Mike Wright & Robert E. Hoskisson & Lowell W. Busenitz & Jay Dial, 2001. "Finance and management buyouts: Agency versus entrepreneurship perspectives," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(3), pages 239-261, July.
- Ughetto, Elisa, 2010. "Assessing the contribution to innovation of private equity investors: A study on European buyouts," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 126-140, February.
- Smith, Abbie J., 1990. "Corporate ownership structure and performance *1: The case of management buyouts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 143-164, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CODA-POIREY Hélène).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.