Optimal Transport and Cournot-Nash Equilibria
AbstractWe study a class of games with a continuum of players for which Cournot-Nash equilibria can be obtained by the minimisation of some cost, related to optimal transport. This cost is not convex in the usual sense in general but it turns out to have hidden strict convexity properties in many relevant cases. This enables us to obtain new uniqueness results and a characterisation of equilibria in terms of some partial differential equations, a simple numerical scheme in dimension one as well as an analysis of the inefficiency of equilibria.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) in its series TSE Working Papers with number 12-321.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Cournot-Nash equilibria; mean-field games; optimal transport; externalities; Monge-Amp`ere equations; convexity along generalised geodesics.;
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-GTH-2012-09-22 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2012-09-22 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-TRE-2012-09-22 (Transport Economics)
- NEP-URE-2012-09-22 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- HART, Sergiu & HILDENBRAND, Werner & KOHLBERG, Elon, .
"On equilibrium allocations as distributions on the commodity space,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-183, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hart, Sergiu & Hildenbrand, Werner & Kohlberg, Elon, 1974. "On equilibrium allocations as distributions on the commodity space," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 159-166, August.
- Figalli, Alessio & Kim, Young-Heon & McCann, Robert J., 2011. "When is multidimensional screening a convex program?," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 454-478, March.
- Monderer, Dov & Shapley, Lloyd S., 1996. "Potential Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 124-143, May.
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Robert McCann & Lars Nesheim, 2010.
"Hedonic price equilibria, stable matching, and optimal transport: equivalence, topology, and uniqueness,"
Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 317-354, February.
- Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Robert McCann & Lars Nesheim, 2007. "Hedonic price equilibria, stable matching, and optimal transport: equivalence, topology, and uniqueness," CeMMAP working papers CWP23/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Konishi, Hideo & Le Breton, Michel & Weber, Shlomo, 1997. "Pure Strategy Nash Equilibrium in a Group Formation Game with Positive Externalities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 161-182, October.
- Pierre Degond & Jian-Guo Liu & Christian Ringhofer, 2013. "Evolution of the distribution of wealth in an economic environment driven by local Nash equilibria," Papers 1307.1685, arXiv.org.
- Pierre Degond & Jian-Guo Liu & Christian Ringhofer, 2014. "Evolution of wealth in a nonconservative economy driven by local Nash equilibria," Papers 1403.7800, arXiv.org.
- Pierre Degond & Jian-Guo Liu & Christian Ringhofer, 2014. "Evolution of wealth in a nonconservative economy driven by local Nash equilibria," Working Papers hal-00967662, HAL.
- Blanchet, Adrien & Carlier, Guillaume, 2014. "Remarks on existence and uniqueness of Cournot-Nash equilibria in the non-potential case," TSE Working Papers 14-491, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.