Strategy, Scale or Policy? Exit in the Australian Car Industry
AbstractThis paper estimates the importance of strategy, scale and policy in determining the pattern of exit in the Australian car industry. Previous studies found only a weak role for strategy in exit from declining industries. Using a new dataset and improvements on the specification used in earlier studies, we find stronger evidence that strategy influences the pattern of exit where economies of scale are less important. Protection is also found to negatively influence the likelihood of exit.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, La Trobe University in its series Working Papers with number 2000.14.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Automobile Industry; Strategic Planning; Policy Making;
Other versions of this item:
- Fleischmann, Matthew P & Prentice, David, 2001. "Strategy, Scale or Policy? Exit in the Australian Car Industry," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(239), pages 351-60, December.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Sutton, 1997. "Gibrat's Legacy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 40-59, March.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj & Nalebuff, Barry, 1990. "The Devolution of Declining Industries," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(1), pages 167-86, February.
- R.M. Conlon & J.A. Perkins, 1995. "Automotive Industry Policy In Australia: Origins, Impact And Prospects," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 14(3), pages 49-68, 09.
- Dierickx, I. & Matutes, C. & Neven, D., 1991. "Cost differences and survival in declining industries : A case for 'picking winners'?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1507-1528, December.
- Baden-Fuller, Charles W F, 1989. "Exit from Declining Industries and the Case of Steel Castings," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(398), pages 949-61, December.
- Ericson, Richard & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82, January.
- Peter Stubbs, 1972. "The Australian Motor Industry A Study in Protection and Growth," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 5(1), pages 46-46.
- Robert Conlon & John Perkins, 1997. "Political Economy Of Assistance To The Automotive Industry In Australia: Have We Seen It All Before?," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 16(2), pages 76-91, 06.
- Richard E. Caves, 1998. "Industrial Organization and New Findings on the Turnover and Mobility of Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1947-1982, December.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Gibson, John K & Harris, Richard I D, 1996.
"Trade Liberalisation and Plant Exit in New Zealand Manufacturing,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(3), pages 521-29, August.
- Gibson,J.K. & Harris,R.I.D., 1996. "Trade Liberalisation and Plant Exit in New Zealand Manufacturing," Papers 66, Portsmouth University - Department of Economics.
- Deily, Mary E, 1988. "Investment Activity and the Exit Decision," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 595-602, November.
- Sanidas, Elias & Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu, 2003. "Trade Reforms and the Survival of the Passenger Motor Vehicle Industry in Australia," Economics Working Papers wp03-10, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Sanidas, Elias & Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu, 2006. "The Consequences of Trade Liberalisation on the Australian Passenger Motor Vehicle Industry," Economics Working Papers wp06-01, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Scoglio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.