Block Sampler and Posterior Mode Estimation for Asymmetric Stochastic Volatility Models
AbstractThis article introduces a new efficient simulation smoother and disturbance smoother for asymmetric stochastic volatility models where there exists a correlation between today's return and tomorrow's volatility. The state vector is divided into several blocks where each block consists of many state variables. For each block, corresponding disturbances are sampled simultaneously from their conditional posterior distribution. The algorithm is based on the multivariate normal approximation of the conditional posterior density and exploits a conventional simulation smoother for a linear and Gaussian state space model. The performance of our method is illustrated using two examples (1) simple asymmetric stochastic volatility model and (2) asymmetric stochastic volatility model with state-dependent variances. The popular single move sampler which samples a state variable at a time is also conducted for comparison in the first example. It is shown that our proposed sampler produces considerable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-507.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Omori, Yasuhiro & Watanabe, Toshiaki, 2008. "Block sampler and posterior mode estimation for asymmetric stochastic volatility models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 2892-2910, February.
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-09-09 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2007-09-09 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yasuhiro Omori & Toshiaki Watanabe, 2007.
"Block Sampler and Posterior Mode Estimation for A Nonlinear and Non-Gaussian State-Space Model with Correlated Errors,"
CARF-F-104, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Yasuhiro Omori & Toshiaki Watanabe, 2003. "Block Sampler and Posterior Mode Estimation for a Nonlinear and Non-Gaussian State-Space Model with Correlated Errors," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-221, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Yasuhiro Omori & Toshiaki Watanabe, 2007. "Block Sampler and Posterior Mode Estimation for A Nonlinear and Non-Gaussian State-space Model with Correlated Errors," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-508, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Jun Yu, 2004.
"On Leverage in a Stochastic Volatility Model,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
506, Econometric Society.
- Omori, Yasuhiro & Chib, Siddhartha & Shephard, Neil & Nakajima, Jouchi, 2007. "Stochastic volatility with leverage: Fast and efficient likelihood inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 425-449, October.
- Bartolucci, F. & De Luca, G., 2003. "Likelihood-based inference for asymmetric stochastic volatility models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 445-449, March.
- Sangjoon Kim, Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, .
"Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models,"
W26, revised version of W, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Kim, Sangjoon & Shephard, Neil & Chib, Siddhartha, 1998. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 361-93, July.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1996. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference And Comparison With Arch Models," Econometrics 9610002, EconWPA.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers 3., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Christie, Andrew A., 1982. "The stochastic behavior of common stock variances : Value, leverage and interest rate effects," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 407-432, December.
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G. & Rossi, P.E.Peter E., 2004. "Bayesian analysis of stochastic volatility models with fat-tails and correlated errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 185-212, September.
- Chib, Siddhartha, 2001. "Markov chain Monte Carlo methods: computation and inference," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 57, pages 3569-3649 Elsevier.
- Melino, Angelo & Turnbull, Stuart M., 1990. "Pricing foreign currency options with stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 239-265.
- J. Durbin, 2002. "A simple and efficient simulation smoother for state space time series analysis," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 603-616, August.
- Fruhwirth-Schnatter, Sylvia & Fruhwirth, Rudolf, 2007. "Auxiliary mixture sampling with applications to logistic models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3509-3528, April.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Doron Avramov & Tarun Chordia & Amit Goyal, 2006. "The Impact of Trades on Daily Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(4), pages 1241-1277.
- Harvey, Andrew C & Shephard, Neil, 1996. "Estimation of an Asymmetric Stochastic Volatility Model for Asset Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(4), pages 429-34, October.
- Celeux, Gilles & Marin, Jean-Michel & Robert, Christian P., 2006. "Iterated importance sampling in missing data problems," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6215, Paris Dauphine University.
- Celeux, Gilles & Marin, Jean-Michel & Robert, Christian P., 2006. "Iterated importance sampling in missing data problems," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(12), pages 3386-3404, August.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.