The effect of primary school closures on educational attainments of students
AbstractA combination of school mismanagement, weak financial situation and low student attainments led to a permanent closure of primary schools in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, in 2007. This study examines if the school closure positively affected the test scores that children achieved on a standardized and national test and if secondary school level advices children received at the end of primary education are higher. More specifically, we examine if receiving more years of education on a new and presumably better primary school leads to higher test scores and better secondary school level advices. In doing so, we compare children who switched schools because of the school closure with a control group of children at receiving schools and with a similar ideological background. The results indicate that student test scores are unaffected by the school closure. Secondary school advices, however, tend to be higher for children who received one year of education on a new primary school, but this effect fades out, and eventually becomes negative, for students who are enrolled for a longer period in the receiving school.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Top Institute for Evidence Based Education Research in its series Working Papers with number 42.
Date of creation: 00 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tierweb.nl
School closure; Student attainments; Education Inspectorate; Primary education;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2012-06-25 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2012-06-25 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-URE-2012-06-25 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Haan, Monique & Leuven, Edwin & Oosterbeek, Hessel, 2011.
"Scale economies can offset the benefits of competition: Evidence from a school consolidation reform in a universal voucher system,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
8272, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de Haan, Monique & Leuven, Edwin & Oosterbeek, Hessel, 2011. "Scale Economies Can Offset the Benefits of Competition: Evidence from a School Consolidation Reform in a Universal Voucher System," IZA Discussion Papers 5528, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John Engberg & Brian Gill & Gema Zamarro & Ron Zimmer, 2011.
"Closing Schools in a Shrinking District: Do Student Outcomes Depend on Which Schools are Closed?,"
Mathematica Policy Research Reports, Mathematica Policy Research
7164, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Engberg, John & Gill, Brian & Zamarro, Gema & Zimmer, Ron, 2012. "Closing schools in a shrinking district: Do student outcomes depend on which schools are closed?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 189-203.
- Dave E. Marcotte & Steven W. Hemelt, 2008.
"Unscheduled School Closings and Student Performance,"
Education Finance and Policy,
MIT Press, vol. 3(3), pages 316-338, July.
- Marcotte, Dave E. & Hemelt, Steven W., 2007. "Unscheduled School Closings and Student Performance," IZA Discussion Papers 2923, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marcotte, Dave E., 2007. "Schooling and test scores: A mother-natural experiment," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 629-640, October.
- Heers, M. & Van Klaveren, C. & Groot, W. and Maassen van den Brink, H., 2012.
"The Impact of Community Schools on Student Dropout in Pre-vocational Education,"
Working Papers, Top Institute for Evidence Based Education Research
45, Top Institute for Evidence Based Education Research.
- Heers, Marieke & Van Klaveren, Chris & Groot, Wim & van den Brink, Henriëtte Maassen, 2014. "The impact of community schools on student dropout in pre-vocational education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 105-119.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jessica Segal) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Jessica Segal to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.