Does Government Employment "Crowd-Out" Private Employment?: Evidence from Sweden
AbstractIt is argued that increases in government spending that take the form of increases in government employment can have a negative impact on private-sector employment by increasing real wages. In fact, once the supply reducing effects of higher taxes needed to finance the increase in government employment are taken into account, the fall in private employment can be so large as to cause decreases in aggregate employment. The authors demonstrate this with quarterly Swedish data for the period 1964-90. Copyright 1996 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Stirling, Division of Economics in its series Working Papers Series with number 92/16.
Date of creation: Aug 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Division of Economics, University of Stirling, Stirling, Scotland FK9 4LA
Phone: +44 (0)1786 467473
Fax: +44 (0)1786 467469
Web page: http://www.econ.stir.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Malley, Jim & Moutos, Thomas, 1996. " Does Government Employment "Crowd-Out" Private Employment? Evidence from Sweden," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(2), pages 289-302, June.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alberto Behar & Junghwan Mok, 2013.
"Does Public-Sector Employment Fully Crowd Out Private-Sector Employment?,"
IMF Working Papers
13/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Alberto Behar & Junghwan Mok, 2013. "Does Public-Sector Employment Fully Crowd Out Private-Sector Employment?," CSAE Working Paper Series 2013-20, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Aleksandar Vasilev, 2013.
"Fiscal policy in a Real-Business-Cycle model with labor-intensive government services and endogenous public sector wages and hours,"
2013_18, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Vasilev, Aleksandar, 2013. "Fiscal Policy in a Real-Business-Cycle Model with Labor-intensive Government Services and Endogenous Public Sector Wages and Hours," SIRE Discussion Papers 2013-82, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Jim Malley & Thomas Moutos, .
"Government Employment and Unemployment: With One Hand Giveth, The Other Taketh,"
9709, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow, revised May 1998.
- Jim Malley & Thomas Moutos, . "Government Employment and Unemployment: With One Hand Giveth, the Other Taketh," ICMM Discussion Papers 47, Department of Economics University of Strathclyde.
- Fernàndez-de-Córdoba, Gonzalo & Pérez, Javier J. & Torres, José L., 2009.
"Public and private sector wages interactions in a general equilibrium model,"
Working Paper Series
1099, European Central Bank.
- Gonzalo Fernández-de-Córdoba & Javier Pérez & José Torres, 2012. "Public and private sector wages interactions in a general equilibrium model," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 150(1), pages 309-326, January.
- Gonzalo Fernández-de-Córdoba & Javier J. Pérez & José L. Torres, 2009. "Public and private sector wages interactions in a general equilibrium model," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0924, Banco de Espa�a.
- Horst Feldmann, 2006. "Government Size and Unemployment: Evidence from Industrial Countries," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 127(3), pages 443-459, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2002.
"Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 571-589, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2000. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 504, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 7207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Ardagna, Silvia & Perotti, Roberto & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Profits and Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2250, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio & Perotti, Roberto & Ardagna, Silvia & Alesina, Alberto, 2002. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," Scholarly Articles 4685103, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Arzu Yavuz, 2011. "Productivity and Wage Differentials between Private and Public Sector in the Developing Countries (Gelismekte Olan Ülkelerde Özel ve Kamu Sektöründeki Verimlilik ve Ücret Farklilasmasi)," Working Papers 1103, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Ardagna, Silvia, 2007. "Fiscal Policy in Unionized Labor Markets," Scholarly Articles 2580048, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ardagna, Silvia, 2007. "Fiscal policy in unionized labor markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1498-1534, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Liam Delaney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.