Innovation capabilities and firm labor productivity
AbstractThis study relies on a Cobb-Douglas production function to assess the relationship between the development of innovation capabilities by firms and their labor productivity. Intra-organizational capabilities relate to firms’ corporate culture and work organization, generation of innovative ideas and selection of projects, and innovation funding sources. Inter-organizational capabilities relate to the use of external information from vertical partners, competitors, and consultants, and to R&D partnerships with scientific institutions. In addition to the traditional effect of a growth in the ratio of physical capital per employee, both types of innovation capabilities are found to significantly increase labor productivity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series Working Papers CEB with number 04-030.RS.
Length: 17 p.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by: Solvay Business School, Centre Emile Bernheim
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Innovation; organizational capabilities; performance; labor productivity.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2006-02-05 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-INO-2006-02-05 (Innovation)
- NEP-TID-2006-02-05 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques, 1995.
"Exploring the relationship between R&D and productivity in French manufacturing firms,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 263-293, January.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 1992. "Exploring the Relationship Between R&D and Productivity in French Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 3956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Loof, Hans & Heshmati, Almas, 2002.
"Knowledge capital and performance heterogeneity: : A firm-level innovation study,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 61-85, March.
- LÃ¶Ã¶f, Hans & Heshmati, Almas, 2000. "Knowledge Capital and Performance Heterogeneity: A Firm Level Innovation Study," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 387, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 14 Aug 2000.
- Pari Patel & Keith Pavitt, 1991. "Large Firms in the Production of the Worldâ€™s Technology: An Important Case of â€œNon-Globalisationâ€," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Baldwin, John R. & Johnson, Joanne, 1996. "Business strategies in more- and less-innovative firms in Canada," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 785-804, August.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 17-45
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1979. "Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 92-116, Spring.
- Ichniowski, Casey & Shaw, Kathryn & Prennushi, Giovanna, 1997. "The Effects of Human Resource Management Practices on Productivity: A Study of Steel Finishing Lines," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 291-313, June.
- Elisabeth Kremp & Jacques Mairesse, 2004. "Knowledge Management, Innovation, and Productivity: A Firm Level Exploration Based on French Manufacturing CIS3 Data," NBER Working Papers 10237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peeters, Carine & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno van, 2003.
"Measuring Innovation Competencies and Performances: A Survey of Large Firms in Belgium,"
IIR Working Paper
03-16, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Carine Peeters & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2003. "Measuring innovation competencies and performances: a survey of large firms in Belgium," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 04-005.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-96, September.
- Knott, Anne Marie & McKelvey, Bill, 1999. "Nirvana efficiency: a comparative test of residual claims and routines," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 365-383, April.
- Christopher D. Ittner & David F. Larcker, 1997. "The Performance Effects of Process Management Techniques," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 43(4), pages 522-534, April.
- Carine Peeters & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2003.
"Organizational competencies and innovation performances: the case of large firms in Belgium,"
Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles
04-006.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Peeters, Carine & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno van, 2003. "Organizational Competencies and Innovation Performances: The Case of Large Firms in Belgium," IIR Working Paper 03-19, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ritter, Thomas & Gemunden, Hans Georg, 2003. "Network competence: Its impact on innovation success and its antecedents," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(9), pages 745-755, September.
- Malerba, Franco, 1992. "Learning by Firms and Incremental Technical Change," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 845-59, July.
- Carine Peeters & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2005. "Innovation capabilities and returns to scale," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 05-002.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.