Application Of The Kalman Filter For Estimating Continuous Time Term Structure Models: Evidence From The Uk And Germany
AbstractIn this paper a state-space representation for the single-factor Cox, Ingersoll and Ross (1985) model is employed to analyse the intertemporal dynamics of the term structure for UK Gilts and Euro-denominated German Treasury bonds. Closed form solutions for the prices of discount bonds are derived such that they are a function of the unobserved instantaneous spot rate and the model's parameters. Quasi-maximum likelihood estimates of the model parameters are obtained by using the Kalman filter algorithm to calculate the likelihood function. Empirical results show that a one-factor CIR model provides an adequate description of the dynamics of the UK term structure of interest rates for the period 1999-2003. But it is unable to provide such a good description of the German term structure owing to its inability to account for the market price of risk
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 with number 346.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Kalman filtering; term structure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard, Scott F., 1978. "An arbitrage model of the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 33-57, March.
- Geyer, Alois L J & Pichler, Stefan, 1999. "A State-Space Approach to Estimate and Test Multifactor Cox-Ingersoll-Ross Models of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(1), pages 107-30, Spring.
- Duan, Jin-Chuan & Simonato, Jean-Guy, 1999.
" Estimating and Testing Exponential-Affine Term Structure Models by Kalman Filter,"
Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting,
Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 111-35, September.
- Jin-Chuan Duan & Jean-Guy Simonato, 1995. "Estimating and Testing Exponential Affine Term Structure Models by Kalman Filter," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-44, CIRANO.
- Nowman, Khalid Ben, 2010. "Modelling the UK and Euro yield curves using the Generalized Vasicek model: Empirical results from panel data for one and two factor models," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 334-341, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.