Export Emergence of Differentiated Goods from Developing Countries: Four Argentine Cases
AbstractThis paper contains case studies documenting the process of export emergence in four sectors producing differentiated goods in Argentina: wines, television programs, motorboats, and wooden furniture. Each case describes the development of Argentine exports, provides a basic history of the sector and shows the types of practices adopted by firms that were able to export to the developed world on a consistent basis. Since in all of the cases except wooden furniture export emergence in the sector is closely tied to the leading role of an export pioneer, the case studies also explain how the background of this export pioneer enabled him to gain the knowledge needed to export consistently. Finally, the cases characterize how the business practices first adopted by the pioneer diffused to other firms in the industry leading to export growth in the sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia in its series Working Papers with number 107.
Length: 110 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision: Mar 2011
export emergence; developing countries; differentiated goods;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandro Artopoulos & Daniel Friel & Juan Carlos Hallak, 2011. "Lifting the Domestic Veil: The Challenges of Exporting Differentiated Goods Across the Development Divide," NBER Working Papers 16947, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
- Mion, Giordano & Opromolla, Luca David, 2013. "Managers’ mobility, trade performance, and wages," Working Paper Series 1596, European Central Bank.
- Nicholas Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2010.
"Why Do Management Practices Differ across Firms and Countries?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 24(1), pages 203-24, Winter.
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2010. "Why do Management Practices Differ Across Firms and Countries?," CEP Occasional Papers 26, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Charles Sabel & Eduardo Fernandez-Arias & Ricardo Hausmann & Andres Rodriguez-Clare & Ernesto H. Stein, 2012. "Export Pioneers in Latin America," Research Department Publications 4769, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamara Sulaque) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Tamara Sulaque to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.