The Introduction Of The Anglo-American Audit Firms In France
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to trace the development of the French auditing profession, the commissaires aux comptes, focusing on the appearance of the large Anglo-American audit firms on the French market. The French audit market has always shown a number of peculiarities, among which the continued importance of a number of local audit firms. The French audit profession finds its roots in late nineteenth century company law that introduced an obligation for companies to release audited financial statements. The profession of commissaire aux comptes became regulated in its modern form in the 1960s. The paper tries to explain the growing impact of the international audit firms on the French profession, using a framework that relates to internationalisation strategies in service industries. It also demonstrates how local professionals and the French state reacted to these developments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration in its series Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium with number 06/392.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2006
Date of revision:
Auditing profession; history; internationalisation; service industries; Anglo-Saxon accounting firms; France;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2006-10-28 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2006-10-28 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A L Calvet, 1981. "A Synthesis of Foreign Direct Investment Theories and Theories of the Multinational Firm," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(1), pages 43-59, March.
- Keith D. Brouthers & Lance Eliot Brouthers, 2003. "Why Service and Manufacturing Entry Mode Choices Differ: The Influence of Transaction Cost Factors, Risk and Trust," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(5), pages 1179-1204, 07.
- Erin Anderson & Hubert Gatignon, 1986. "Modes of Foreign Entry: A Transaction Cost Analysis and Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 1-26, September.
- Claude Bocqueraz, 2001. "The development of professional associations: the experience of French accountants from the 1880s to the 1940s," Accounting History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 7-27.
- Watts, Ross L & Zimmerman, Jerold L, 1983. "Agency Problems, Auditing, and the Theory of the Firm: Some Evidence," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(3), pages 613-33, October.
- Eva Wallerstedt, 2001. "The emergence of the Big Five in Sweden," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 843-867.
- Charles Piot, 2001. "Agency costs and audit quality: evidence from France," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 461-499.
- Eichenseher, John W. & Shields, David, 1985. "Corporate director liability and monitoring preferences," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 13-31.
- Craswell, Allen T. & Francis, Jere R. & Taylor, Stephen L., 1995. "Auditor brand name reputations and industry specializations," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 297-322, December.
- J J Boddewyn & Marsha Baldwin Halbrich & A C Perry, 1986. "Service Multinationals: Conceptualization, Measurement and Theory," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 41-57, September.
- Brouthers, Keith D. & Brouthers, Lance Eliot & Werner, Steve, 2002. "Industrial sector, perceived environmental uncertainty and entry mode strategy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 495-507, June.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark C Casson, 1998. "Analyzing Foreign Market Entry Strategies: Extending the Internalization Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 539-561, September.
- Alain Mikol, 1993. "The evolution of auditing and the independent auditor in France," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 1-16.
- Sana Sellami Saidi, 2009. "Usage Des Pratiques Socioculturelles Et Politico-Institutionnelles Par Les Associes Des Cabinets D'Audit Et D'Expertise Comptable : Antecedents Et Consequences," Post-Print halshs-00459402, HAL.
- Sana Saidi & Mohamed Sellami, 2011. "Communications publicitaires des cabinets d'audit et d'expertise comptable en France : Une étude exploratoire," Post-Print hal-00650569, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.