Evolution And Determinants Of Public Investment In Europe
AbstractWe examine the evolution of public investment and public capital stocks in Europe during the past three decades. Against this background, we employ an array of econometric techniques to assess the macroeconomic determinants of public investment, with a special focus on its long-term trend. We find that public investment has been determined by national income, the stance of budgetary policies, and fiscal sustainability considerations. Neither the cost of financing nor the fiscal rules embodied in EMU have had a systemic impact on public investment. The significant downtrend that characterises the evolution of public investment, measured in relation to GDP, in non-cohesion countries is chiefly determined by drawn-out episodes of fiscal consolidation, unrelated to EMU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Investment Bank, Economics Department in its series Economic and Financial Reports with number 2005/1.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 31 Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 100, boulevard Konrad Adenauer, L-2950 Luxembourg
Phone: (+352) 43 79 1
Fax: (+352) 43 79 68 895
Web page: http://www.eib.org/efs/
More information through EDIRC
Public investment; Public capital stocks; Budgetary policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Straub, Roland & Tchakarov, Ivan, 2007.
"Assessing the impact of a change in the composition of public spending: a DSGE approach,"
Working Paper Series
0795, European Central Bank.
- Ivan Tchakarov & Roland Straub, 2007. "Assessing the Impact of a Change in the Composition of Public Spending: A DSGE Approach," IMF Working Papers 07/168, International Monetary Fund.
- Francisco de Castro Fernández & José Manuel González Mínguez, 2008. "The composition of public finances and long-term growth: a macroeconomic approach," Banco de Espaï¿½a Occasional Papers 0809, Banco de Espa�a.
- Fay, Marianne & Iimi, Atsushi & Perrissin-Fabert, Baptiste, 2010. "Financing greener and climate-resilient infrastructure in developing countries - challenges and opportunities," EIB Papers 7/2010, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Estache, Antonio, 2010. "Infrastructure finance in developing countries: An overview," EIB Papers 8/2010, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Stewart, James, 2010. "The UK National Infrastructure Plan 2010," EIB Papers 6/2010, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Bitsch, Florian & Buchner, Axel & Kaserer, Christoph, 2010. "Risk, return and cash flow characteristics of infrastructure fund investments," EIB Papers 4/2010, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Moreno-Dodson, Blanca, 2006. "Public infrastructure and growth : new channels and policy implications," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4064, The World Bank.
- Wagenvoort, Rien & de Nicola, Carlo & Kappeler, Andreas, 2010. "Infrastructure finance in Europe: Composition, evolution and crisis impact," EIB Papers 1/2010, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Engel, Eduardo & Fischer, Ronald & Galetovic, Alexander, 2010.
"The economics of infrastructure finance: Public-Private Partnerships versus public provision,"
2/2010, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2010. "The economics of infrastructure finance: Public-private partnerships versus public provision," Documentos de Trabajo 276, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Inderst, Georg, 2010. "Infrastructure as an asset class," EIB Papers 3/2010, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Helm, Dieter, 2010. "Infrastructure and infrastructure finance: The role of the government and the private sector in the current world," EIB Papers 5/2010, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Schumacher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.