On the relationship between public and private investment in the euro area
AbstractThis paper explores the long run relationship between public and private investment in the euro area in terms of capital stocks and gross investment flows. Panel techniques accounting for international spillovers are employed. While private and public capital stocks are cointegrated, the evidence is quite fragile for public and private investment flows. They enter a long run relationship only after fundamental drivers of private investment, such as demand and financing costs are included. According to the impulse response analysis, private investment reacts to shocks in public investment both in terms of stock and flow variables. In contrast, public investment is rather exogenous. Therefore, the lack of public investment might have restricted private investment and GDP growth in the euro area. The results have strong implications for the future direction of fiscal austerity programs to combat the euro area debt crisis. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 344.
Date of creation: 2014
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Grosse Scharrnstrasse 59, 15230 Frankfurt (Oder)
Phone: +49 (0)335 5534 2387
Fax: +49 (0)335 5534 2516
Web page: http://www.wiwi.euv-frankfurt-o.de/en/index.html
More information through EDIRC
public and private investment; fiscal austerity; panel VAR;
Other versions of this item:
- Dreger, Christian & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 2014. "On the Relationship between Public and Private Investment in the Euro Area," IZA Discussion Papers 8002, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christian Dreger & Hans-Eggert Reimers, 2014. "On the Relationship between Public and Private Investment in the Euro Area," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1365, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-03-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2014-03-15 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2014-03-15 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Perotti, 2007.
"In Search of the Transmission Mechanism of Fiscal Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
13143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Perotti, 2008. "In Search of the Transmission Mechanism of Fiscal Policy," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2007, Volume 22, pages 169-226 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marattin, Luigi & Salotti, Simone, 2011.
"On the usefulness of government spending in the EU area,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 780-795.
- Salotti, Simone & Marattin, Luigi, 2009. "On the usefulness of government spending in the EU area," MPRA Paper 19476, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- L. Marattin & S. Salotti, 2009. "On the usefulness of government spending in the EU area," Working Papers 686, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Salotti, Simone & Marattin, Luigi, 2009. "On the usefulness of government spending in the EU area," MPRA Paper 19171, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joakim Westerlund, 2007.
"Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(6), pages 709-748, December.
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2005. "Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data," Working Papers, Lund University, Department of Economics 2005:11, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Toshiya Hatano, 2010. "Crowding - in Effect of Public Investment on Private Investment," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 6(1), pages 105-120, February.
- Isabel Argimon & Jose Gonzalez-Paramo & Jose Roldan, 1997. "Evidence of public spending crowding-out from a panel of OECD countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(8), pages 1001-1010.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003.
"A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge
0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007. "A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko, 2012.
"Measuring the Output Responses to Fiscal Policy,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 1-27, May.
- António Afonso & Miguel St.Aubyn, 2008.
"Macroeconomic Rates of Return of Public and Private Investment: Crowding-in and Crowding-out Effects,"
Working Papers Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon
2008/06, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2009. "Macroeconomic Rates Of Return Of Public And Private Investment: Crowding-In And Crowding-Out Effects," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 77(s1), pages 21-39, 09.
- Afonso, António & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2008. "Macroeconomic rates of return of public and private investment: crowding-in and crowding-out effects," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 0864, European Central Bank.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Does public capital crowd out private capital?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-188, September.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-44, January.
- Valila, Timo & Mehrotra, Aaron, 2005. "Evolution And Determinants Of Public Investment In Europe," Economic and Financial Reports, European Investment Bank, Economics Department 2005/1, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Kremers, Jeroen J M & Ericsson, Neil R & Dolado, Juan J, 1992.
"The Power of Cointegration Tests,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 325-48, August.
- Jeroen J.M. Kremers & Neil R. Ericsson & Juan J. Dolado, 1992. "The power of cointegration tests," International Finance Discussion Papers, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 431, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Love, Inessa & Zicchino, Lea, 2006. "Financial development and dynamic investment behavior: Evidence from panel VAR," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 190-210, May.
- Damiaan Persyn & Joakim Westerlund, 2008. "Error-correction–based cointegration tests for panel data," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(2), pages 232-241, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.