The Concept of Agricultural District and the Question of Rural Development
AbstractThe issue of rural development may be considered a crucial theme regarding the development of European Union economy. Rural regions account for the big majority of European Union territory having an unquestionable importance in terms of employment, population as well as regarding their contribution to gross economic value added. Apparently there is a lack of an effective theoretical framework concerning the issue of development for rural regions. Our opinion is based on the fact that all empirical analysis regarding rural regions development seems to put these regions in a secondary peripheral way in terms of development. Based on a broad view of determinant factors for development, using different bodies of knowledge in economics and management theory (like corporate strategy, entrepreneurship, regional and innovation development theories, economics of territory and network theory and partnerships), and inspired in the industrial district theory, this paper attempts to present the concept of agricultural district applied to a specific Portuguese rural region: the Douro. On our view, this new concept will help development politicians to conceive better policies for the taking off of rural regions and so, to oppose to what appears to be a bad destiny fatality for rural and agricultural regions
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve in its series Spatial and Organizational Dynamics Discussion Papers with number 2009-3.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 30 Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Algarve, Faculty of Economics, Campus de Gambelas, 8005-139 Faro, Portugal, email of President of the Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +351 289 244 406
Web page: http://www.cieo.pt/
More information through EDIRC
New Economic Geography; Agricultural District; Innovation Policies; Regional Development; Networks and Partnerships;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leydesdorff, Loet & Fritsch, Michael, 2005.
"Measuring the Knowledge Base of Regional Innovation Systems in Germany in terms of a Triple Helix Dynamics,"
Freiberg Working Papers
2005,10, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Leydesdorff, Loet & Fritsch, Michael, 2006. "Measuring the knowledge base of regional innovation systems in Germany in terms of a Triple Helix dynamics," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1538-1553, December.
- Fritsch, Michael & Stephan, Andreas, 2005. "Regionalization of innovation policy--Introduction to the special issue," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1123-1127, October.
- Cooke, Philip & Gomez Uranga, Mikel & Etxebarria, Goio, 1997. "Regional innovation systems: Institutional and organisational dimensions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 475-491, December.
- Todtling, Franz & Trippl, Michaela, 2005. "One size fits all?: Towards a differentiated regional innovation policy approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1203-1219, October.
- Leydesdorff, Loet & Meyer, Martin, 2006. "Triple Helix indicators of knowledge-based innovation systems: Introduction to the special issue," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1441-1449, December.
- P Cooke & M G Uranga & G Etxebarria, 1998. "Regional systems of innovation: an evolutionary perspective," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 30(9), pages 1563-1584, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Fernandes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.