Regional Financial Arrangements and the International Monetary Fund
AbstractThe rise of regional monetary arrangements poses a challenge for the International Monetary Fund (IMF)'s global surveillance efforts. This paper reviews how the IMF has responded to earlier regional initiatives, from the European Payments Union of the 1950s and the Gold Pool of the 1960s to the CFA franc zone and the European Monetary System. The penultimate section draws out the implications for monetary regionalism in East Asia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank Institute in its series ADBI Working Papers with number 394.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 06 Nov 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 2-5, Kasumigaseki 3-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
international monetary fund; regional monetary arrangements; global surveillance; european monetary system;
Other versions of this item:
- Barry Eichengreen, 2012. "Regional Financial Arrangements and the International Monetary Fund," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23354, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2012. "Regional Financial Arrangements and the International Monetary Fund," Finance Working Papers 23354, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2012. "Regional Financial Arrangements and the International Monetary Fund," Governance Working Papers 23354, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F53 - International Economics - - International Relations and International Political Economy - - - International Agreements and Observance; International Organizations
- F55 - International Economics - - International Relations and International Political Economy - - - International Institutional Arrangements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2012-11-17 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2012-11-17 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MON-2012-11-17 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2012-11-17 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & AndrÃ© Sapir & Guntram B. Wolff, . "EU-IMF assistance to euro area countries: an early assessment," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 779, 11.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hugh Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.