Financial Development in Emerging Markets: The Indian Experience
AbstractFinancial markets that function well are crucial for the long-run economic growth of a country. This paper, in the first instance, looks at how the financial development of an economy can be measured. It then traces the financial development of India through the 1990s to the present, assessing the development of each segment of financial markets. In doing so, it highlights the dualistic development of the financial sector. Finally, the paper makes an attempt to offer an explanation of this dualistic development and proposes a road map for the future development of financial markets in India.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank Institute in its series ADBI Working Papers with number 276.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 08 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 2-5, Kasumigaseki 3-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
financial development; india financial development; india financial sector; india financial markets; emerging market economies; india economic growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- N25 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2011-04-16 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2011-04-16 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hugh Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.