The Role of Data and Knowledge in Firms Service and Product Innovation
AbstractThe importance of data and different sources of knowledge in the development of new services and products, and further in the creation of new markets, has dramatically increased during the past few decades. This empirical study uses data from 531 Finnish firms to explore the determinants of generation of new data-based products and services. The empirical findings emphasize the role of a firms absorptive capacity and its ICT competence in data-based innovation. It seems that generally a firms external information sources play a more prominent role than internal information sources. Particularly customer involvement in innovation process positively relates to the production of new data-based products and services. The reported empirical findings further indicate that data-based product and service innovation tends to be rather strongly demand-driven.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series Discussion Papers with number 1272.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-06-05 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ICT-2012-06-05 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-INO-2012-06-05 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2012-06-05 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2012-06-05 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ester Martinez-Ros & Jose Labeaga, 2002. "The Relationship Between Firm Size and Innovation Activity: A Double Decision Approach," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 35-50.
- Tether, Bruce S., 2002. "Who co-operates for innovation, and why: An empirical analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 947-967, August.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2000. "Beyond Computation: Information Technology, Organizational Transformation and Business Performance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 23-48, Fall.
- Belderbos, Rene & Carree, Martin & Lokshin, Boris, 2004.
"Cooperative R&D and firm performance,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1477-1492, December.
- Belderbos,René & Carree,Martin & Lokshin,Boris, 2004. "Cooperative R&D and Firm Performance," Research Memoranda 022, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Belderbos, Rene & Carree, M & Lokshin, B, 2004. "Cooperative R&D and firm performance," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101254, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Belderbos, Rene & Carree, Martin & Lokshin, Boris, 2004. "Cooperative R&D and firm performance," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-15272, Maastricht University.
- Belderbos, René & Carree, Martin & Lokshin, Boris, 2004. "Cooperative R&D and firm performance," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-20506, Maastricht University.
- C. Antonelli & R. Marchionatti & S. Usai, 2000. "Productivity and External Knowledge: The Italian Case," Working Paper CRENoS 200009, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Vega-Jurado, Jaider & Gutiérrez-Gracia, Antonio & Fernández-de-Lucio, Ignacio & Manjarrés-Henriquez, Liney, 2008. "The effect of external and internal factors on firms' product innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 616-632, May.
- Koski, Heli & Marengo, Luigi & Mäkinen, Iiro, 2009. "Managerial Practices, Performance and Innovativeness: Some Evidence from Finnish Manufacturing," Discussion Papers 1176, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.