What Drives Swap Spreads, Credit or Liquidity?
AbstractThis paper investigates the determinants of swap spreads. Compared with previous work done in this area, such as the seminal paper by Duffie and Singleton (1997), the paper includes daily credit spreads data in the time series framework. The issue is whether “liquidity” or “credit” (or both) is the main determinant of swap spreads dynamics. Our results agree with the prevailing view among swap traders that swap spreads are mainly an indicator of “market liquidity”. However, the dynamics are influenced significantly by “credit” over longer horizons, although credit is not the main driving force. LIBOR rate dynamics seem to play a relatively minor role in this setting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Henley Business School, Reading University in its series ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance with number icma-dp2003-05.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 218, Whiteknights, Reading, Berks, RG6 6AA
Phone: +44 (0) 118 378 8226
Fax: +44 (0) 118 975 0236
Web page: http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lang, Larry H. P. & Litzenberger, Robert H. & Luchuan Liu, Andy, 1998. "Determinants of interest rate swap spreads," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(12), pages 1507-1532, December.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1997. " An Econometric Model of the Term Structure of Interest-Rate Swap Yields," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1287-1321, September.
- Finbarr Murphy & Bernard Murphy, 2012. "A vector-autoregression analysis of credit and liquidity factor dynamics in US LIBOR and Euribor swap markets," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 351-370, April.
- Liu, Jun & Longstaff, Francis A. & Mandell, Ravit E., 2004. "The Market Price Of Risk In Interest Rate Swaps: The Roles Of Default And Liquidity Risks," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt5z42g22g, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Fender, Ingo & Scheicher, Martin, 2009. "The pricing of subprime mortgage risk in good times and bad: evidence from the ABX.HE indices," Working Paper Series 1056, European Central Bank.
- Ingo Fender & Martin Scheicher, 2008. "The ABX: how do the markets price subprime mortgage risk?," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ed Quick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.