On The Distribution of Estimated Technical Efficiency in Stochastic Frontier Models
AbstractWe consider a stochastic frontier model with error [epsilon]=v-u, where v is normal and u is half normal. We derive the distribution of the usual estimate of u,E(u[epsilon]). We show that as the variance of v approaches zero, E(u[epsilon])-u converges to zero, while as the variance of v approaches infinity, E(u[epsilon]) converges to E(u). We graph the density of E(u[epsilon]) for intermediate cases. To show that E(u[epsilon]) is a shrinkage of u towards its mean, we derive and graph the distribution of E(u[epsilon]) conditional on u. We also consider the distribution of estimated inefficiency in the fixed-effects panel data setting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia in its series CEPA Working Papers Series with number WP022007.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Wang, Wei Siang & Schmidt, Peter, 2009. "On the distribution of estimated technical efficiency in stochastic frontier models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 36-45, January.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Waldman, Donald M., 1984. "Properties of technical efficiency estimators in the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 353-364, July.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Greene, William H., 1990. "A Gamma-distributed stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 141-163.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Greene, William H., 1980. "Maximum likelihood estimation of econometric frontier functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 27-56, May.
- Greene, William H., 1980. "On the estimation of a flexible frontier production model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 101-115, May.
- Yane, Shinji & Berg, Sanford, 2011.
"Sensitivity analysis of efficiency rankings to distributional assumptions: applications to Japanese water utilities,"
32892, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shinji Yane & Sanford Berg, 2013. "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency rankings to distributional assumptions: applications to Japanese water utilities," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(17), pages 2337-2348, June.
- Federico Belotti & Giuseppe Ilardi, 2012. "Consistent Estimation of the “True” Fixed-effects Stochastic Frontier Model," CEIS Research Paper 231, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 18 Apr 2012.
- Gómez-Gallego, Juan Cándido & Gómez-García, Juan & Pérez-Cárceles, María Concepción, 2012. "Appropriate Distribution of Cost Inefficiency Estimates as Predictor of Financial Instability /La distribución de la ineficiencia estimada como predictor de inestabilidad financiera," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 1071 (12 pa, Diciembre.
- Anup Bhandari & Pradip Maiti, 2012. "Efficiency of the Indian leather firms: some results obtained using the two conventional methods," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 73-93, February.
- William Horrace & Christopher Parmeter, 2011.
"Semiparametric deconvolution with unknown error variance,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 129-141, April.
- William C. Horrace & Christopher F. Parmeter, 2008. "Semiparametric Deconvolution with Unknown Error Variance," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 104, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Eduardo Fé-Rodríguez & Richard Hofler, 2009.
"Count Data Stochastic Frontier Models, with an application to the patents-R&D Relationship,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0916, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Eduardo Fé & Richard Hofler, 2013. "Count data stochastic frontier models, with an application to the patents–R&D relationship," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 271-284, June.
- Bellio, Ruggero & Grassetti, Luca, 2011. "Semiparametric stochastic frontier models for clustered data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 71-83, January.
- Wei Wang & Christine Amsler & Peter Schmidt, 2011. "Goodness of fit tests in stochastic frontier models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 95-118, April.
- repec:max:cprwps:154 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Randal Anderson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.