Metafrontier Functions for the Study of Inter-regional Productivity Differences
AbstractThe paper uses the concept of metafrontier functions to study regional differences in production technologies. The paper has three components. The first deals with the analytical framework necessary for the definition of metafrontier functions. The second component studies the properties of the metafrontier estimated using nonparametric data envelopment analysis (DEA). The third component focuses on the estimation of metafrontiers within the parametric framework of stochastic frontier analysis (SFA). The empirical application of the models uses cross-country agricultural sector data. The DEA and SFA metafrontiers are presented and discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia in its series CEPA Working Papers Series with number WP012003.
Date of creation: Sep 2003
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L6 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hayami, Yujiro & Ruttan, Vernon W, 1970. "Agricultural Productivity Differences Among Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 895-911, December.
- George E. Battese & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2002. "Technology Gap, Efficiency, and a Stochastic Metafrontier Function," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 1(2), pages 87-93, August.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Nadia BELHAJ HASSINE, 2007. "Technical Efficiency In The Mediterranean Countries’ Agricultural Sector," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 25, pages 27-44.
- Chiu, Yung-ho & Luo, Zhengying & Chen, Yu-Chuan & Wang, Zebin & Tsai, Min-Pei, 2013. "A comparison of operating performance management between Taiwan banks and foreign banks based on the Meta-Hybrid DEA model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 433-439.
- Huang, Yi-Ju & Chen, Ku-Hsieh & Yang, Chih-Hai, 2010. "Cost efficiency and optimal scale of electricity distribution firms in Taiwan: An application of metafrontier analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 15-23, January.
- Anup Kumar Bhandari & Subhash C. Ray, 2007.
"Technical Efficiency in the Indian Textiles Industry: A Nonparametric Analysis of Firm-Level Data,"
2007-49, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Anup Kumar Bhandari & Subhash C. Ray, 2012. "Technical Efficiency In The Indian Textiles Industry: A Non‐Parametric Analysis Of Firm‐Level Data," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(1), pages 109-124, 01.
- Astrid Cullmann & Christian Hirschhausen, 2008.
"Efficiency analysis of East European electricity distribution in transition: legacy of the past?,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 155-167, April.
- Astrid Cullmann & Jürgen Apfelbeck & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2006. "Efficiency Analysis of East European Electricity Distribution in Transition: Legacy of the Past?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 553, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Nkamleu, Guy Blaise, 2007. "Religious faith and agricultural growth: exploring some correlations in Africa," MPRA Paper 11131, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2007.
- Nkamleu, Guy Blaise & Sylla, Kalilou & Zonon, Abdoulaye, 2008. "What accounts for growth in African agriculture," MPRA Paper 11102, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2008.
- Kontolaimou, Alexandra & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2010. "Are cooperatives the weakest link in European banking? A non-parametric metafrontier approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1946-1957, August.
- Nkamleu, Guy Blaise & Nyemeck, Joachim & Sanogo, Diakalia, 2006. "Metafrontier Analysis of Technology Gap and Productivity Difference in African Agriculture," MPRA Paper 15103, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Randal Anderson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.