Structural Determinants of the Natural Rate of Unemployment in Canada
AbstractThis paper presents empirical estimates of the policy and structural determinants of the natural rate of unemployment in Canada. The paper begins with a discussion of structural features of the economy which impinge on the adjustment of real wages to their equilibrium level. Estimates are presented showing how the generosity of the unemployment insurance system is related to past levels of unemployment. The empirical results indicate that government policies have been largely responsible for changes in the natrual rate, and hence can contribute to a reduction in the natural rate in the medium term.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 8623.
Date of creation: 06 Apr 1989
Date of revision:
Natural rate of unemployment; Canada;
Other versions of this item:
- David T. Coe, 1990. "Structural Determinants of the Natural Rate of Unemployment in Canada," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(1), pages 94-115, March.
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Hysteresis and the European Unemployment Problem,"
NBER Working Papers
1950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 1987.
"Cooperation, Harassment, and Involuntary Unemployment: An Insider-Outsider Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
196, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J, 1988. "Cooperation, Harassment, and Involuntary Unemployment: An Insider-Outsider Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 167-88, March.
- Cote, D. & Hostland, D., 1996. "An Econometric Examination of the Trend Unemployment Rate in Canada," Working Papers 96-7, Bank of Canada.
- Stephen S. Poloz, 1995. "The Causes of Unemployment in Canada: A Review of the Evidence," Macroeconomics 9502002, EconWPA.
- Beatriz Rodríguez Prado, 1995. "La tasa natural de desempleo en la economía española: un intento de cuantificación," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 3, pages 133-151, Junio.
- Charles Adams & David T. Coe, 1990.
"A Systems Approach to Estimating the Natural Rate of Unemployment and Potential Output for the United States,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(2), pages 232-293, June.
- Adams, Charles & Coe, David T., 1989. "A Systems Approach to Estimating the Natural Rate of Unemployment and Potential Output for the United States," MPRA Paper 8622, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pichette, Lise, 1998. "La politique monétaire a-t-elle des effets asymétriques sur l'emploi?," Working Papers 98-17, Bank of Canada.
- Cousineau, Jean-Michel, 1991. "L’effet du salaire minimum sur le chômage des jeunes et des femmes au Québec : une réestimation et un réexamen de la question," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 67(2), pages 144-165, juin.
- Robert A. Amano & Tony S. Wirjanto, .
"An Empirical Investigation into Government Spending and Private Sector Behaviour,"
94-8, Bank of Canada.
- Robert A. Amano & Tony S. Wirjanto, 1995. "An Empirical Investigation into Government Spending and Private Sector Behaviour," Macroeconomics 9502005, EconWPA.
- Claar, Victor V, 2002.
"Is the NAIRU More Useful in Forecasting Inflation than the Natural Rate of Unemployment?,"
14257, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Victor Claar, 2006. "Is the NAIRU more useful in forecasting inflation than the natural rate of unemployment?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(18), pages 2179-2189.
- Stephen S. Poloz, . "The Causes of Unemployment in Canada: A Review of the Evidence," Working Papers 94-11, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.