On the Mechanics of Measuring the Production of Financial Institutions
AbstractWith the emergence of new technologies, innovative financial instruments and the integration of global market operations national accountants are confronted with a series of new challenges and complexities in determining the output of financial institutions. The SNA93 recommended measure, the FISIM – financial intermediation services indirectly measured - which focused around the traditional deposits and loans business is currently under scrutiny as numerous views have been expressed questioning its validity in measuring the financial output. Critics have argued that the FISIM, as is defined, fails to capture the recent developments in financial markets and the technological advances and thus undermine the true economic contribution of these institutions. Several OECD task groups have examined this issue and currently considering changes to the existing methodologies. The goal of this study is two-fold. First, it explores a number of emerging areas in finance that are critically important for national accounting purposes. Second, by using the latest I-O tables the paper examines empirically how the recent technological advances and the global market environment have impacted the Canadian financial sector and provides some insights as to how the current SNA practices could be extended to account for such changes. *
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 7694.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
FISIM; Financial Economics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- P34 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fixler, Dennis & Zieschang, Kimberly D, 1991. "Measuring the Nominal Value of Financial Services in the National Income Accounts," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(1), pages 53-68, January.
- Dennis Fixler & Kimberly Zieschang, 1999. "The productivity of the banking sector: integrating financial and production approaches to measuring financial service output," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(2), pages 547-569, April.
- James McIntosh, 2002. "A welfare analysis of Canadian chartered bank mergers," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(3), pages 457-475, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.