Measuring the Nominal Value of Financial Services in the National Income Accounts
AbstractThe recent growth in the U.S. financial service sector has resurrected the controversy over the treatment of financial services in the national income accounts. The main points of contention are the treatment of interest payments and the valuation of "free" financial services provided by banks. To examine different treatments of financial services, the authors employ a financial firm model that links financial service prices to the user cost of money. They show that their approach subsumes both the Department of Commerce and the U.N. Statistical Office approaches and thereby provides a heretofore absent economic foundation for their methods. Copyright 1991 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 29 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1995. "Price and Volume Measures in the System of National Accounts," NBER Working Papers 5103, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, Erwin & Fixler, Dennis & Zieschang, Kimberly, 2012.
"Problems with the Measurement of Banking Services in a National Accounting Framework,"
Economics working papers
erwin_diewert-2012-14, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 04 Apr 2012.
- Erwin Diewert & Dennis Fixler & Kimberly Zieschang, 2012. "Problems with the Measurement of Banking Services in a National Accounting Framework," Discussion Papers 2012-25, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2007. "Measuring Productivity in the System of National Accounts," Economics working papers diewert-07-11-16-12-39-23, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 16 Nov 2007.
- Abdelaziz Rouabah & Paolo Guarda, 2007. "Banking output & price indicators from quarterly reporting data," BCL working papers 27, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Jayasinghe, Milan, 2005. "On the Mechanics of Measuring the Production of Financial Institutions," MPRA Paper 7694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rolf Färe & Kimberly Zieschang, 1991. "Determining output shadow prices for a cost-constrained technology," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 54(2), pages 143-155, June.
- Gabriel Asaftei & Subal Kumbhakar, 2008. "Regulation and efficiency in transition: the case of Romanian banks," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 253-282, June.
- Joseph G. Haubrich, 1991. "Financial efficiency and aggregate fluctuations: an exploration," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 25-36.
- J. Christina Wang, 2003. "Loanable funds, risk, and bank service output," Working Papers 03-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.