Urbanization in India: Revisiting the energy aspect and policy issues
AbstractGiven the indisputable fact that urbanization has long become the cornerstone of industrialization and development efforts in India, this paper specifically takes up the issues of urbanization as related to energy usage and sustainability issues. We find that urbanization has followed a model that is neither energy-efficient, nor, for the very same reasons, sustainable on a long-term planning horizon. The empirical relationship between urbanization and energy use is examined, with strong evidence of urbanization having led the continual increase in energy use per capita in India. The pattern of urbanization and some of its other salient characteristics are also examined and their energy and environment-related consequences discussed. Some important data and empirical evidence are highlighted and policy inferences drawn. Finally, some tentative policy suggestions have been offered as to the course along which future urbanization efforts should be directed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 54635.
Date of creation: Dec 2014
Date of revision: Mar 2014
Urbanization; Energy prices; Energy use; India; Sustainable Development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- Q3 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation
- Q4 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-04-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2014-04-18 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-URE-2014-04-18 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W. Jones, 1989. "Urbanization and Energy Use In Economic Development," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 29-44.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.