On Aumann and Serrano's Economic Index of Risk
AbstractWe study the risk index of an additive gamble proposed in Aumann and Serrano (2008).We establish a generalized duality result for this index and use it to prove Yaari's (1969) alternative characterization of DARA utilities. A new characterization result for the risk index is obtained through essentially monotonic risk aversion utilities. We also extend the domain of gambles by introducing a price for gambles. We then develop a theory on the risk index for multiplicative gambles. Relative risk aversion functions for multiplicative gambles play the same role as absolute risk aversion functions for additive gambles.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 47466.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Risk index Attractiveness index Duality Additive gambles Multiplicative gambles;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C00 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - General
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alain Chateauneuf & Michèle Cohen & Isaac Meilijson, 2005.
"More pessimism than greediness: a characterization of monotone risk aversion in the Rank-Dependent Expected Utility model,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Alain Chateauneuf & Michéle Cohen & Isaac Meilijson, 2005. "More pessimism than greediness: a characterization of monotone risk aversion in the rank-dependent expected utility model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 649-667, 04.
- Chateauneuf, A. & Cohen, M. & Meilijson, I., 1997. "More Pessimism than Greediness: A Characterization of Monotone Risk Aversion in the Rank-Dependant Expected Utility Model," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 97.53, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Nielsen, Lars Tyge, 1997.
"Monotone Risk Aversion,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1651, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2006.
"An Economic Index of Riskiness,"
2006-20, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "An economic index of riskiness," Working Papers 2007-08, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2006. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000585, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000836, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Roberto Serrano & Robert J. Aumann, 2007. "An Economic Index Of Riskiness," Working Papers wp2007_0706, CEMFI.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Discussion Paper Series dp446, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Yi-Chun Chen & Xiao Luo, 2012. "An indistinguishability result on rationalizability under general preferences," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 51(1), pages 1-12, September.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Michèle Cohen & Isaac Meilijson, 2005. "More pessimism than greediness: a characterization of monotone risk aversion in the Rank-Dependent Expected Utility model," Post-Print halshs-00211906, HAL.
- Dybvig, Philip H & Lippman, Steven A, 1983. "An Alternative Characterization of Decreasing Absolute Risk Aversion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 223-24, January.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- James C. Cox & Vjollca Sadiraj & Bodo Vogt & Utteeyo Dasgupta, 2007. "Is There A Plausible Theory for Risky Decisions?," Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series 2007-05, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University, revised Apr 2008.
- Yaari, Menahem E., 1969. "Some remarks on measures of risk aversion and on their uses," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 315-329, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.