Economic indices of absolute and relative riskiness
AbstractFollowing Aumann and Serrano (J Polit Econ 116:810–836, 2008 ) who characterize by axioms an index of riskiness defined on absolute returns, we characterize a new index of riskiness defined on relative returns. Both indices are characterized by a similar principle of duality between risk and risk aversion, but while the index of absolute riskiness refers to absolute risk aversion, the index of relative riskiness refers to relative risk aversion. The similarities and differences between the two indices are studied. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2014
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 56 (2014)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hart, Sergiu & Foster, Dean P., 2013.
"A wealth-requirement axiomatization of riskiness,"
Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 8(2), May.
- Hanoch, G & Levy, Haim, 1969. "The Efficiency Analysis of Choices Involving Risk," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(107), pages 335-46, July.
- Sergiu Hart, 2011.
"Comparing Risks by Acceptance and Rejection,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(4), pages 617 - 638.
- Li, Minqiang, 2013.
"On Aumann and Serrano's Economic Index of Risk,"
47466, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hadar, Josef & Russell, William R, 1969. "Rules for Ordering Uncertain Prospects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 25-34, March.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2006.
"An Economic Index of Riskiness,"
2006-20, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2008. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(5), pages 810-836, October.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000836, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Roberto Serrano & Robert J. Aumann, 2007. "An Economic Index Of Riskiness," Working Papers, CEMFI wp2007_0706, CEMFI.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "An economic index of riskiness," Working Papers, Instituto MadrileÃ±o de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales 2007-08, Instituto MadrileÃ±o de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2006. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000585, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Aumann & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "An Economic Index of Riskiness," Discussion Paper Series dp446, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Dean Foster & Sergiu Hart, 2007.
"An Operational Measure of Riskiness,"
843644000000000095, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Dean P. Foster & Sergiu Hart, 2009. "An Operational Measure of Riskiness," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(5), pages 785 - 814.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.