Financial development and manufactured exports: the african experience
AbstractUsing a sample of twenty nine African countries for which adequate time series data are available this paper explores the nexus between financial development and manufactured exports. This particular relationship is especially important in the context of Africa since export diversification away from resources and agriculture is an important part of Africa’s growth strategy. Our results show that in eleven countries financial development causes manufactured exports and manufactured exports causes financial development in seven countries. We then explore reasons for these findings and find that a rich and surprising set of factors explain our findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 46474.
Date of creation: 22 Apr 2013
Date of revision:
Financial Development; Granger Causality; Manufactured Exports; Africa;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beck, T.H.L., 2003.
"Financial dependence and international trade,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125509, Tilburg University.
- Kletzer, Kenneth & Bardhan, Pranab, 1986.
"Credit Markets and Patterns of International Trade,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt1g36f3sd, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Kletzer, Kenneth & Bardhan, Pranab, 1987. "Credit markets and patterns of international trade," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 57-70, October.
- Kenneth Kletzer and Pranab Bardhan., 1986. "Credit Markets and Patterns of International Trade," Economics Working Papers 8612, University of California at Berkeley.
- Mookerjee, Rajen & Kalipioni, Paul, 2010. "Availability of financial services and income inequality: The evidence from many countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 404-408, December.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, .
"Law and Finance,"
19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2002.
"Financial development and international trade: Is there a link?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 107-131, June.
- Beck, T.H.L., 2002. "Financial development and international trade: Is there a Link?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125515, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2001. "Financial development and international trade : is there a link?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2608, The World Bank.
- Allen, Franklin & Carletti, Elena & Cull, Robert & Qian, Jun & Senbet, Lemma & Valenzuela, Patricio, 2013.
"Resolving the African financial development gap : cross-country comparisons and a within-country study of Kenya,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6592, The World Bank.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti & Robert Cull & Jun "QJ" Qian & Lemma Senbet & Patricio Valenzuela, 2014. "Resolving the African Financial Development Gap: Cross-Country Comparisons and a Within-Country Study of Kenya," NBER Chapters, in: African Successes: Modernization and Development National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti & Robert Cull & Jun Qian & Lemma Senbet & Patricio Valenzuela, 2012. "Resolving the African Financial Development Gap: Cross-Country Comparisons and a Within-Country Study of Kenya," NBER Working Papers 18013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- ALLEN, Franklin & CARLETTI, Elena & CULL, Robert & QIAN, Jun & SENBET, Lemma & VALENZUELA, Patricio, 2012. "Resolving the African Financial Development Gap: Cross-country comparisons and a within-country study of Kenya," Economics Working Papers ECO2012/15, European University Institute.
- Guillermo Ordoñez, 2012. "The Asymmetric Effects of Financial Frictions," NBER Working Papers 18360, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huang, Yongfu & Temple, Jonathan, 2005.
"Does External Trade Promote Financial Development?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5150, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yongfu Huang & Jonathan Temple, 2005. "Does external trade promote financial development?," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 05/575, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Hur, Jung & Raj, Manoj & Riyanto, Yohanes E., 2006. "Finance and trade: A cross-country empirical analysis on the impact of financial development and asset tangibility on international trade," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1728-1741, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.