Is the Theory of Planned Behaviour Valid for Islamic home financing?
AbstractAbstract This study is aimed at explaining factors influencing the intention amongst bank customers in selecting Islamic home financing that is musharakah mutanaqisah home financing. Drawing upon the theory of planned behaviour (the TPB), this study proposes a model to examine the effects of three explanatory factors namely attitude, subjective norm and perceived behavioural control on such intention. This study tests the TPB in a context of musharakah mutanaqisah home financing. The model of the study is tested using survey data from 168 bank customers who are respondents of the study. Our results suggest that attitude, subjective norm and perceived behavioural control are significantly influencing the intention to select such facility. The relationship between attitude and subjective norm are also statistically significant. The findings also demonstrate the applicability of the TPB in the musharakah mutanaqisah home financing context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 43179.
Date of creation: 07 Jul 2009
Date of revision: 05 Sep 2011
Keywords: Islamic banking; musharakah mutanaqisah; home financing; survey; mortgage finance; Malaysia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- D14 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Saving; Personal Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fauziah Md. Taib & T. Ramayah & Dzuljastri Abdul Razak, 2008. "Factors influencing intention to use diminishing partnership home financing," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(3), pages 235-248, September.
- Ajzen, Icek, 1991. "The theory of planned behavior," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 179-211, December.
- Suddin Lada & Geoffrey Harvey Tanakinjal & Hanudin Amin, 2009. "Predicting intention to choose halal products using theory of reasoned action," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(1), pages 66-76, April.
- Ayesha Hamid & Omar Masood, 2011. "Selection criteria for Islamic home financing: a case study of Pakistan," Qualitative Research in Financial Markets, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 117-130, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.