Asymptotic relations in Cournot's game
AbstractIn this note, I derive the asymptotic relation verified by oligopolists' iso-profit curves within Cournot's game. Thereafter, I provide an economic rationale for such a mathematical relation. The results of this exploration suggest that for each firm the asymptotes of the iso-profit curves convey the boundaries beyond which output competitors become net purchasers of the good supplied in the market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42761.
Date of creation: Nov 2012
Date of revision:
Cournot's Game; Nash Equilibrium; Asymptotes;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-12-10 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-GTH-2012-12-10 (Game Theory)
- NEP-HPE-2012-12-10 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-IND-2012-12-10 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guerrazzi, Marco, 2012. "On involuntary unemployment: notes on efficiency-wage competition," MPRA Paper 38140, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mayer, T., 1999.
"Spatial Cournot Competition and Heterogeneous Production Costs Across Locations,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃƒÂ©matique et Applications, UniversitÃƒÂ© PanthÃƒÂ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1)
1999.89, UniversitÃƒÂ© PanthÃƒÂ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Mayer, Thierry, 2000. "Spatial Cournot competition and heterogeneous production costs across locations," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 325-352, May.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.