Export Barriers in Pakistan: Results of a Firm-Level Survey
AbstractThis study attempts to evaluate exporters’ perceptions of the problems they face in exploiting their full competitive potential in the international market. Using firm-level survey data, we find that a shortage of skilled labor, the energy crisis, institutional rigidities, market imperfections, and weaknesses in physical infrastructure are the key impediments to achieving export competitiveness. Policies geared toward improving the quality of skilled labor, resolving the energy crisis, and reducing transaction costs by improving the institutional and physical infrastructure are key to expanding Pakistan’s exports on a sustained basis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41978.
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Pakistan; export competitiveness; exporting procedures; certifications;
Other versions of this item:
- Rashid Amjad & Ejaz Ghani & Musleh ud Din & Tariq Mahmood, 2012. "Export Barriers in Pakistan: Results of a Firm-Level Survey," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 17(Special E), pages 103-134, September.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2012-10-27 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-INT-2012-10-27 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Musleh ud Din & Ejaz Ghani & Tariq Mahmood, 2009. "Determinants of Export Performance of Pakistan: Evidence from the Firm-Level Data," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 48(3), pages 227-240.
- Oliver Masakure & Spencer Henson & John Cranfield, 2009. "Standards and export performance in developing countries: Evidence from Pakistan," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 395-419.
- Nagesh Kumar, 1998. "Multinational enterprises, regional economic integration, and export-platform production in the host countries: An empirical analysis for the US and Japanese corporations," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 450-483, September.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Djankov, Simeon, 1997. "Determinants of the Export Structure of Countries in Central and Eastern Europe," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(3), pages 471-87, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.