Medium size cities economic development and regional competitiveness: the case of Larissa – Volos dipole in Thessaly region of Greece
AbstractThe main purpose of this article is to investigate the relation between cities’ economic development (local level) and regions’ competitiveness (regional level) in the region of Thessaly, Greece (the Larissa – Volos dipole case - study). The last fifteen years almost fifty non - local enterprises have established new plants or have expanded their business activities to Thessaly region and especially around the cities of Larissa and Volos (eastern Thessaly). The first issue that this article investigates concerns the reasons for this agglomeration. The second issue has to do with the contribution of enterprises to the cities’ development and to the region’s competitiveness as a whole. The third issue concerns enterprises’ decision analysis process to establish business activities in Thessaly region and the role of place marketing policies supporting this decision. Finally the article provides suggestions and particular development strategies for the strengthening of the Thessaly region’s competitiveness through the economic development of the Larissa - Volos dipole.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41122.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision: 2004
Publication status: Published in Discussion Papers Series, University of Thessaly 7.10(2004): pp. 161-200
regional competitiveness; local economic development; place marketing; medium-size cities; Larissa-Volos dipole;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dabinett, G. & Gore, T. & Haywood, R. & Lawless, P., 1999. "Transport investment and regeneration. Sheffield: 1992-1997," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 123-134, April.
- Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2002. "The effects of integration on regional disparities: Convergence, divergence or both?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 539-567, March.
- Esther Vaya Valcarce & Enrique Lopez Bazo & Rosina Moreno Serrano & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 2000. "Growth and externalities across economies. An empirical analysis using spatial econometrics," Working Papers in Economics 59, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Juan R. Cuadrado-Roura, 2001. "Regional convergence in the European Union: From hypothesis to the actual trends," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 333-356.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & George Petrakos, 2000. "Regional Disparities in Greece and the Performance of Crete, Peloponnese and Thessaly," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0008, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Metaxas, Theodore, 2008. "Τοπική Οικονομκή Ανάπτυξη, Ιδιαίτερα Χαρακτηριστικά Πόλεων, Πολιτικές Ανάπτυξης Και Ανταγωνιστικότητα Επιχ," MPRA Paper 41609, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Deffner, Alex & Metaxas, Theodore, 2008. "The cultural and tourist policy dimension in city marketing: the case of the olympic municipality of Nea Ionia, Magnesia, Greece," MPRA Paper 41001, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.