Methodological mistakes and econometric consequences
AbstractEconometric Methodology is based on logical positivist principles. Since logical positivism has collapsed, it is necessary to re-think these foundations. We show that positivist methodology has led econometricians to a meaningless search for patterns in the data. An alternative methodology which relates observed patterns to real causal structures is proposed
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41032.
Date of creation: 30 Aug 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in International Econometric Review 2.4(2012): pp. 99-122
Econometric Methodology; logical positivism; realism; causality; VAR models; Forecasting; surprise; goodness of fit;
Other versions of this item:
- Asad Zaman, 2012. "Methodological Mistakes and Econometric Consequences," International Econometric Review (IER), Econometric Research Association, Econometric Research Association, vol. 4(2), pages 99-122, September.
- B16 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Quantitative and Mathematical
- C19 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-09-09 (Econometrics)
- NEP-HME-2012-09-09 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atiq-ur-Rehman, 2011.
"Impact of Model Specification Decisions on Unit Root Tests,"
International Econometric Review (IER), Econometric Research Association,
Econometric Research Association, vol. 3(2), pages 22-33, September.
- Atiq-ur-Rehman, Atiq-ur-Rehman & Zaman, Asad, 2009. "Impact of Model Specification Decisions on Unit Root Tests," MPRA Paper 19963, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zaman, Asad, 2008.
"Causal Relations via Econometrics,"
10128, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asad Zaman, 2010. "Causal Relations via Econometrics," International Econometric Review (IER), Econometric Research Association, Econometric Research Association, vol. 2(1), pages 36-56, April.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1983.
"Let's Take the Con Out of Econometrics,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 31-43, March.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1982. "Let's Take the Con Out of Econometrics," UCLA Economics Working Papers, UCLA Department of Economics 239, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Mehmood, Sultan, 2013. "Terrorism and the macroeconomy: Evidence from Pakistan," MPRA Paper 44546, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.