Strategic place marketing and place branding: 15 years of mega-events in Lisbon
AbstractUrban tourism is a relatively recent phenomenon but is now being embraced by most European cities, which are using substantial funds to compete for visitors, thus generating new infrastructures for this process. Cities so as to differentiate themselves from their competitors, attempt to manage their image by strategic place marketing approach. This paper explores the implications and significance of being a host city of mega events. The purpose is to identify the perception of Lisbon’s identity and the formation of its image as a competitive tourism destination.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41004.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision: 2011
place marketing; place branding; Lisbon; mega-events; Expo 98; Euro 2004;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O20 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - General
- O21 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Planning Models; Planning Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alex Deffner & Theodore Metaxas, 2005. "Shaping the vision, the identity and the cultural image of European places," ERSA conference papers ersa05p696, European Regional Science Association.
- Johan Fourie & María Santana-gallego, 2010. "The impact of mega-sport events on tourist arrivals," Working Papers 20/2010, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.