Estimating term structure changes using principal component analysis in Indian sovereign bond market
AbstractThis paper analyses the India sovereign yield to find out the principal factors affecting the term structure of interest rate changes. We apply Principal Component Analysis (PCA) on our data consisting of zero coupon interest rates derived from government bond trading using Nelson-Siegel functional form. This decomposition of the yield curve highlights important relationship between identified factors and metrics of the term structure shape. The empirical findings support statistical similarities between the Indian yield curve and term structure studies of major countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 39229.
Date of creation: 04 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Indian Sovereign Yield Curve; principal component; interest rates; bond; yield curve; macroeconomics; term structure of interest rates;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael J. Fleming, 1997. "The round-the-clock market for U.S. Treasury securities," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 9-32.
- Andrew Ang & Jean Boivin & Sen Dong & Rudy Loo-Kung, 2009.
"Monetary Policy Shifts and the Term Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
15270, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nikolaus Hautsch & Yangguoyi Ou, 2008. "Yield Curve Factors, Term Structure Volatility, and Bond Risk Premia," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-053, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
- Joseph G. Haubrich & George Pennacchi & Peter Ritchken, 2008. "Estimating real and nominal term structures using Treasury yields, inflation, inflation forecasts, and inflation swap rates," Working Paper 0810, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.