Prospects for a unified urban general equilibrium theory
AbstractThis is a short essay on open questions in urban economic theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 379.
Date of creation: 06 Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Urban General Equilibrium Theory; Universal Commodity Space;
Other versions of this item:
- Berliant, Marcus, 2007. "Prospects for a unified urban general equilibrium theory," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 466-471, July.
- R13 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General Equilibrium and Welfare Economic Analysis of Regional Economies
- D60 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - General
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2006-11-12 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2006-11-12 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jones, Larry E., 1983. "Existence of equilibria with infinitely many consumers and infinitely many commodities : A theorem based on models of commodity differentiation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 119-138, October.
- Marcus Berliant & Fan- chin Kung, 2004.
"The Indeterminacy of Equilibrium City Formation under Monopolistic Competition and Increasing Returns,"
0407011, EconWPA, revised 29 Apr 2005.
- Berliant, Marcus & Kung, Fan-chin, 2006. "The indeterminacy of equilibrium city formation under monopolistic competition and increasing returns," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 101-133, November.
- Kamecke,Ulrich, 1987.
"Mean-City a consistent approximation of bid rent equilibria,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
138, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Kamecke Ulrich, 1993. "Mean City--A Consistent Approximation of Bid Rent Equilibria," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 48-67, January.
- Berliant, Marcus & Fujita, Masahisa, 1992.
"Alonso's Discrete Population Model of Land Use: Efficient Allocations and Competitive Equilibria,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 535-66, August.
- Berliant, M. & Fujita, M., 1990. "Alonso'S Discrete Population Model Of Land Use: Efficient Allocations And Competitive Equilibria," RCER Working Papers 217, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Berliant, Marcus & Papageorgiou, Yorgos Y. & Wang, Ping, 1990. "On welfare theory and urban economics," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 245-261, September.
- Papageorgiou, Yorgos Y. & Pines, David, 1990. "The logical foundations of urban economics are consistent," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 37-53, February.
- Larry E. Jones, 1982.
"A Competitive Model of Commodity Differentiation,"
526, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Berliant, Marcus, 1985. "Equilibrium models with land : A criticism and an alternative," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 325-340, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521801386 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521805247 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arthur O'Sullivan & Richard Arnott & Allen Scott & Marcus Berliant & Robert E. Lucas, 2006. "Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, Volume 4: Cities and Geography," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 91-112, January.
- Starrett, David, 1978. "Market allocations of location choice in a model with free mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 21-37, February.
- Berliant, Marcus & ten Raa, Thijs, 1991. "On the continuum approach of spatial and some local public goods or product differentiation models: Some problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 95-120, October.
- Robert E. Lucas & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2002. "On the Internal Structure of Cities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1445-1476, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.