L’euro, il patto di stabilità e di crescita e la sua riforma
[The euro, the stability and growth pact and its reform]
AbstractThis contribution concerns the European monetary union and single currency, the eur. It addresses the issue of the Stability and Growth Pact and its recent reform by the European Council in March 2005. The debate on the reform of the Pact has focused on the contrast between rules and discretion, and, in particular, the role of fiscal policy, but also on its effect in respect of the ECB's monetary policy. The debate revealed a substantial lack of consensus on fiscal policy. Differences on the conduct of fiscal policy focused on the objectives, instruments and institutions. However, the reform of the Stability and Growth Pact tends to give precedence to an attitude of greater discretion in the conduct of fiscal policy by Member States. This paper highlights the significant critical point, in the new version of the Pact, to tolerate implicitly possible fiscal deficits that can be systematically higher in the euro area countrie. It also underlines the unresolved conflict between two important institutions: the Commission and the Council, and the need for independent institutions that are able to enforce tax rules.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37333.
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Patto di Stabilità e Crescita; politica fiscale; euro; Unione monetaria europea;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
- H30 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - General
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Tabellini & Alberto Alesina, 1988.
"Voting on the Budget Deficit,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
539, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Tabellini, 1988. "Voting on the Budget Deficit," NBER Working Papers 2759, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Tabellini, Guido, 1988. "Voting on the Budget Deficit," CEPR Discussion Papers 269, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tabellini, Guido & Alesina, Alberto, 1990. "Voting on the Budget Deficit," Scholarly Articles 4553030, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1990.
"Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
478, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1990. "Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area?," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt40m5g6pp, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Barry Eichengreen, 1991. "Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area?," NBER Working Papers 3579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen., 1990. "Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area?," Economics Working Papers 90-151, University of California at Berkeley.
- Schilirò Daniele, 2005. "Padoa Schioppa T. (2004), "La lunga via per l'euro"," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 161-166.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2001.
"Occupazione e disoccupazione in Italia e in Europa negli anni novanta
[Employment and unemployment in Italy and Europe in the nineties]," MPRA Paper 36527, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- von Hagen, Jurgen & Eichengreen, Barry, 1996. "Federalism, Fiscal Restraints, and European Monetary Union," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 134-38, May.
- Michael Woodford, 2001.
"Fiscal Requirements for Price Stability,"
NBER Working Papers
8072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2002.
"I criteri del Trattato di Maastricht, l’Europa e l’euro: debito pubblico in Italia e crescita
[The criteria of the Maastricht Treaty, Europe and the euro: public debt in Italy and growth]," MPRA Paper 36333, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bergin, Paul R., 2000. "Fiscal solvency and price level determination in a monetary union," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 37-53, February.
- Daniele SCHILIRÒ, 2013.
"The Crisis of Euro's Governance: Institutional Aspects and Policy Issues,"
Chapters of Financial Aspects of Recent Trends in the Global Economy book,
in: Rajmund Mirdala (ed.), Financial Aspects of Recent Trends in the Global Economy, volume 2, chapter 9, pages 151-163
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2012. "The crisis of euro’s governance: institutional aspects and policy issues," MPRA Paper 40861, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2012. "A new governance for EMU and the economic policy framework," MPRA Paper 47454, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2007.
"La crescita in Italia dopo l’euro: quali riforme?
[Growth in Italy after the euro: which reforms?]," MPRA Paper 39482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.