Mathematical Genesis of the Spatio-Temporal Covariance Functions
AbstractObtaining new and flexible classes of nonseparable spatio-temporal covariances have resulted in a key point of research in the last years within the context of spatiotemporal Geostatistics. Approach: In general, the literature has focused on the problem of full symmetry and the problem of anisotropy has been overcome. Results: By exploring mathematical properties of positive definite functions and their close connection to covariance functions we are able to develop new spatio-temporal covariance models taking into account the problem of spatial anisotropy. Conclusion/Recommendations: The resulting structures are proved to have certain interesting mathematical properties, together with a considerable applicability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 35874.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Mathematics and Statistics 7.1(2011): pp. 37-44
Spatial anisotropy; bernstein and complete monotone functions; spatio-temporal geostatistics; positive definite functions; space-time modeling; spatio-temporal data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C4 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-01-25 (Econometrics)
- NEP-URE-2012-01-25 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. Gregori & E. Porcu & J. Mateu & Z. Sasvári, 2008. "On potentially negative space time covariances obtained as sum of products of marginal ones," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 60(4), pages 865-882, December.
- Porcu, Emilio & Mateu, Jorge & Christakos, George, 2009. "Quasi-arithmetic means of covariance functions with potential applications to space-time data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(8), pages 1830-1844, September.
- Gneiting T., 2002. "Nonseparable, Stationary Covariance Functions for Space-Time Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 590-600, June.
- Mitchell, Matthew W. & Genton, Marc G. & Gumpertz, Marcia L., 2006. "A likelihood ratio test for separability of covariances," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(5), pages 1025-1043, May.
- Michael L. Stein, 2005. "Space-Time Covariance Functions," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 310-321, March.
- Montserrat Fuentes, 2002. "Spectral methods for nonstationary spatial processes," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(1), pages 197-210, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.