Spectral methods for nonstationary spatial processes
AbstractWe propose a nonstationary periodogram and various parametric approaches for estimating the spectral density of a nonstationary spatial process. We also study the asymptotic properties of the proposed estimators via shrinking asymptotics, assuming the distance between neighbouring observations tends to zero as the size of the observation region grows without bound. With this type of asymptotic model we can uniquely determine the spectral density, avoiding the aliasing problem. We also present a new class of nonstationary processes, based on a convolution of local stationary processes. This model has the advantage that the model is simultaneously defined everywhere, unlike 'moving window' approaches, but it retains the attractive property that, locally in small regions, it behaves like a stationary spatial process. Applications include the spatial analysis and modelling of air pollution data provided by the US Environmental Protection Agency. Copyright Biometrika Trust 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Biometrika Trust in its journal Biometrika.
Volume (Year): 89 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://biomet.oxfordjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Whitcher, Brandon, 2006. "Wavelet-based bootstrapping of spatial patterns on a finite lattice," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2399-2421, May.
- Lim, Chae Young & Stein, Michael, 2008. "Properties of spatial cross-periodograms using fixed-domain asymptotics," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(9), pages 1962-1984, October.
- Alan Gelfand & Alexandra Schmidt & Sudipto Banerjee & C. Sirmans, 2004. "Nonstationary multivariate process modeling through spatially varying coregionalization," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 263-312, December.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "HAC estimation in a spatial framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 131-154, September.
- Fernández-Avilés, G & Montero, JM & Mateu, J, 2011. "Mathematical Genesis of the Spatio-Temporal Covariance Functions," MPRA Paper 35874, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.