Foreign Direct Investment And Economic Growth: Some Evidence From Across The World
AbstractThis study is concerned about foreign direct investment (FDI) and economic growth across the world for the period of 1991-2001. This article produces fresh empirical evidence on the relation between FDI and economic growth obtained from single-equation and simultaneous equation estimates for 140 countries using macro economic variables. The results indicate that a positive and statistically significant estimate of coefficient of FDI is obtained from single equation ordinary least squares method for real per-capita GDP regressions in all but one case. There exists a positive and statistically significant relation between the real per-capita GDP and FDI in the case of many countries but correlation coefficient between exports-GDP ratio and percentage FDI is found to be insignificant. Country risk rating and the telecommunications variables are significant in all the relevant regressions and correlation estimates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 3563.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision: 2007
Foreign direct investment; multinational corporations; composite risk rating; instrumental variable method; omitted variable method; simultaneous equation method;
Other versions of this item:
- Anita Ghatak & Ferda Halicioglu, 2007. "Foreign direct investment and economic growth: some evidence from across the world," Global Business and Economics Review, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 9(4), pages 381-394.
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2007-06-23 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2007-06-23 (Development)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ghatak, A., 1997. "Vector Autoregression Modelling and Forecasting Growth of South Korea," Department of Economics, De Montford University 97-02, Department of Economics, De Montfort University.
- Root, Franklin R & Ahmed, Ahmed A, 1979. "Empirical Determinants of Manufacturing Direct Foreign Investment in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 751-67, July.
- Blomstrom, Magnus, 1986. "Foreign Investment and Productive Efficiency: The Case of Mexico," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1), pages 97-110, September.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Biswas, Romita, 2002. "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 492-504, October.
- Anita Ghatak, 1998. "Vector autoregression modelling and forecasting growth of South Korea," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(5), pages 579-592.
- Michael Bruno & William Easterly, 1995.
"Inflation Crises and Long-Run Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gupta, Vinod K, 1983. "A Simultaneous Determination of Structure, Conduct and Performance in Canadian Manufacturing," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 281-301, July.
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004.
"FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002. "FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets," Macroeconomics 0212007, EconWPA.
- Kevin Sylwester, 2005. "Foreign direct investment, growth and income inequality in less developed countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 289-300.
- Ewe-Ghee Lim, 2001. "Determinants of, and the Relation Between, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: A Summary of the Recent Literature," IMF Working Papers 01/175, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:imf:imfwpa:94/110 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Acaravci, Ali & Ozturk, Ilhan, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment, Export and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from New EU Countries," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 52-67, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.