In search of FDI-led growth in developing countries: The way forward
AbstractThis paper challenges the widespread belief that FDI generally has a positive impact on economic growth in developing countries. It addresses the limitations of the existing literature and re-examines the FDI-led growth hypothesis for 28 developing countries using cointegration techniques on a country-by-country basis. The paper finds that in the vast majority of countries, there exists neither a long-term nor a short-term effect of FDI on growth; in fact, there is not a single country where a positive unidirectional long-term effect from FDI to GDP is found. Furthermore, our results indicate that there is no clear association between the growth impact of FDI and the level of per capita income, the level of education, the degree of openness and the level of financial market development in developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 25 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banerjee, A. & Marcellino, M. & Osbat, C., 2000.
"Some Cautions on the Use of Panel Methods for Integrated Series of Macro-economic Data,"
Economics Working Papers
eco2000/20, European University Institute.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2004. "Some cautions on the use of panel methods for integrated series of macroeconomic data," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 322-340, December.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, . "Some Cautions on the Use of Panel Methods for Integrated Series of Macro-Economic Data," Working Papers 170, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Neil R. Ericsson & James G. MacKinnon, 1999.
"Distributions of error correction tests for cointegration,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
655, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Neil R. Ericsson & James G. MacKinnon, 2002. "Distributions of error correction tests for cointegration," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 285-318, 06.
- Neil R. Ericsson & James G. MacKinnon, 2000. "Distributions of Error Correction Tests for Cointegration," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0561, Econometric Society.
- Haug, Alfred A., 1996.
"Tests for cointegration a Monte Carlo comparison,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 89-115.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "Finite-Sample Sizes of Johansen's Likelihood Ration Tests for Conintegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(3), pages 313-28, August.
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004.
"FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002. "FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets," Macroeconomics 0212007, EconWPA.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2005:i:1:p:1-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton, 2007.
"Growth and the Quality of Foreign Direct Investment: Is All FDI Equal?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0830, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton, 2007. "Growth and the quality of foreign direct investment: is all FDI equal?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19666, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Xiaohui Liu & Peter Burridge & P. J. N. Sinclair, 2002. "Relationships between economic growth, foreign direct investment and trade: evidence from China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(11), pages 1433-1440.
- Nauro F. Campos & Yuko Kinoshita, 2002.
"Foreign Direct Investment as Technology Transferred: Some Panel Evidence from the Transition Economies,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
438, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Campos, Nauro F & Kinoshita, Yuko, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment as Technology Transferred: Some Panel Evidence from the Transition Economies," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(3), pages 398-419, June.
- Campos, Nauro F & Kinoshita, Yuko, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment as Technology Transferred: Some Panel Evidence from the Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 3417, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Abdur Chowdhury & George Mavrotas, 2006. "FDI and Growth: What Causes What?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 9-19, 01.
- V N Balasubramanyam & M Salisu & David Sapsford., .
"Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in EP and IS Countries,"
ec18/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Balasubramanyam, V N & Salisu, M & Sapsford, David, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in EP and IS Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 92-105, January.
- Brems, Hans, 1970. "A Growth Model of International Direct Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 320-31, June.
- M. Ramirez, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment in Mexico: A Cointegration Analysis," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 138-162.
- Ewe-Ghee Lim, 2001. "Determinants of, and the Relation Between, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Henrik Hansen & John Rand, 2004.
"On the Causal Links between FDI and Growth in Developing Countries,"
04-30, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Henrik Hansen & John Rand, 2006. "On the Causal Links Between FDI and Growth in Developing Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 21-41, 01.
- Hansen, Henrik & Rand, John, 2005. "On the Causal Links between FDI and Growth in Developing Countries," Working Paper Series RP2005/31, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ana Cuadros & Vicente Orts & Maite Alguacil, 2004. "Openness and Growth: Re-Examining Foreign Direct Investment, Trade and Output Linkages in Latin America," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 167-192.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Fedderke, J.W. & Romm, A.T., 2006.
"Growth impact and determinants of foreign direct investment into South Africa, 1956-2003,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 738-760, September.
- Johannes Fedderke & A.T. Romm, 2004. "Growth Impact and Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment into South Africa, 1956-2003," Working Papers 12, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2003.
"Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holger Görg & David Greenaway, 2004. "Much Ado about Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 171-197.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-72, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, October.
- Allan w. Gregory & Bruce E. Hansen, 1992.
"residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts,"
862, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Gregory, Allan W. & Hansen, Bruce E., 1996. "Residual-based tests for cointegration in models with regime shifts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Gregory, A.W. & Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," RCER Working Papers 335, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Mario Zejan, 1992. "What Explains Developing Country Growth?," NBER Working Papers 4132, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- KH Zhang, 2001. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Economic Growth? Evidence From East Asia And Latin America," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(2), pages 175-185, 04.
- Gutierrez, Luciano, 2003. "On the power of panel cointegration tests: a Monte Carlo comparison," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 105-111, July.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 1991. "Asymptotically Efficient Estimation of Cointegration Regressions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(01), pages 1-21, March.
- Luiz de Mello, 1997. "Foreign direct investment in developing countries and growth: A selective survey," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1), pages 1-34.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2002.
"Testing for PPP: Should We Use Panel Methods?,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
13, Royal Economic Society.
- Ram, Rati & Zhang, Kevin Honglin, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Evidence from Cross-Country Data for the 1990s," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(1), pages 205-15, October.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Shiva S. Makki & Agapi Somwaru, 2004. "Impact of Foreign Direct Investment and Trade on Economic Growth: Evidence from Developing Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 795-801.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- Dennis Reinhardt, 2010.
"Into the Allocation Puzzle - A sectoral analysis,"
IHEID Working Papers
14-2010, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Azman-Saini, W.N.W. & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Law, Siong Hook, 2010. "Foreign direct investment, economic freedom and economic growth: International evidence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1079-1089, September.
- Alguacil, M. & Cuadros, A. & Orts, V., 2011. "Inward FDI and growth: The role of macroeconomic and institutional environment," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 481-496, May.
- Clark Don P. & Highfill Jannett & de Oliveira Campino Jonas & Rehman Scheherazade S., 2011. "FDI, Technology Spillovers, Growth, and Income Inequality: A Selective Survey," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 11(2), pages 1-44, July.
- Matija Rejec & Slavica Penev, 2011. "Attractiveness of Western Balkan Countries for FDI," Book Chapters, Institute of Economic Sciences.
- Natasha Agarwal & Chris Milner & Alejandro Riaño, 2013.
"Credit Constraints and FDI Spillovers in China,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4313, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Reiner Martin, 2011. "FDI, Trade and Growth in CESEE Countries," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 70-89,112-1.
- Tekin, Rıfat Barış, 2012. "Economic growth, exports and foreign direct investment in Least Developed Countries: A panel Granger causality analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 868-878.
- Yusuf Ekrem Akbas & Mehmet Senturk & Canan Sancar, 2013. "Testing for Causality between the Foreign Direct Investment, Current Account Deficit, GDP and Total Credit: Evidence from G7," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 60(6), pages 791-812, December.
- Zhang, Cheng & Guo, Bingnan & Wang, Jianke, 2014. "The different impacts of home countries characteristics in FDI on Chinese spillover effects: Based on one-stage SFA," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 572-580.
- A. Yasemin Yalta, 2011. "New Evidence on FDI-Led Growth: The Case of China," Working Papers 1107, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Department of Economics.
- Yalta, A. Yasemin, 2013. "Revisiting the FDI-led growth Hypothesis: The case of China," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 335-343.
- Dierk Herzer & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2013. "Inward and outward FDI and income inequality: evidence from Europe," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(2), pages 395-422, June.
- Yousafzai, Arshad Hayat, 2014. "Exploring the Causality and Co-integration Relationship between FDI, GDP and Employment: A Case of Czech Republic," MPRA Paper 54827, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.