Expansion formulae for local Lévy models
AbstractWe propose a novel method for the analytical approximation in local volatility models with Lèvy jumps. In the case of Gaussian jumps, we provide an explicit approximation of the transition density of the underlying process by a heat kernel expansion: the approximation is derived in two ways, using PIDE techniques and working in the Fourier space. Our second and main result is an expansion of the characteristic function for a local volatility model with general Lévy jumps. Combined with standard Fourier methods, such an expansion allows to obtain efficient and accurate pricing formulae. Numerical tests confirm the effectiveness of the method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 34571.
Date of creation: 20 Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Lévy process; local volatility; asymptotic expansion; partial-integro differential equation; Fourier methods;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fang, Fang & Oosterlee, Kees, 2008.
"A Novel Pricing Method For European Options Based On Fourier-Cosine Series Expansions,"
9319, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fang, Fang & Oosterlee, Kees, 2008. "A Novel Pricing Method For European Options Based On Fourier-Cosine Series Expansions," MPRA Paper 7700, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guoping Xu & Harry Zheng, 2010. "Basket Options Valuation for a Local Volatility Jump-Diffusion Model with the Asymptotic Expansion Method," Papers 1003.1848, arXiv.org.
- Paolo Foschi & Stefano Pagliarani & Andrea Pascucci, 2011. "Black-Scholes formulae for Asian options in local volatility models," Quaderni di Dipartimento, Department of Statistics, University of Bologna 7, Department of Statistics, University of Bologna.
- Sam Howison, 2005. "Matched asymptotic expansions in financial engineering," OFRC Working Papers Series, Oxford Financial Research Centre 2005mf01, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Madan, Dilip B & Seneta, Eugene, 1990. "The Variance Gamma (V.G.) Model for Share Market Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 511-24, October.
- Pagliarani, Stefano & Pascucci, Andrea, 2011. "Analytical approximation of the transition density in a local volatility model," MPRA Paper 31107, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- E. Benhamou & E. Gobet & M. Miri, 2009. "Smart expansion and fast calibration for jump diffusions," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 563-589, September.
- E. Benhamou & E. Gobet & M. Miri, 2010. "Expansion Formulas For European Options In A Local Volatility Model," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(04), pages 603-634.
- Xu, Guoping & Zheng, Harry, 2010. "Basket options valuation for a local volatility jump-diffusion model with the asymptotic expansion method," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 415-422, December.
- Rama Cont & Nicolas Lantos & Olivier Pironneau, 2011. "A reduced basis for option pricing," Post-Print hal-00522410, HAL.
- Marjon Ruijter & Kees Oosterlee (CWI), 2012. "Two-dimensional Fourier cosine series expansion method for pricing financial options," CPB Discussion Paper 225, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.