Stable producer co-operatives in competitive markets
AbstractAn argument often adopted to explain the relatively scarce presence of Producer Co-operatives (PCs) in Western capitalist economies is the instability that may affect this type of firm during the positive phases of the business cycle. In a nutshell the argument is that in profitable industries PCs can have an incentive to hire fixed-wage workers to replace the relatively more expensive firm's members. The paper shows that this phenomenon can fail to hold in very competitive and low barrier-to-entry markets in which, potentially, dismissed members have a chance to set up new firms. Furthermore, since some basic results on PC's stability are due to the assumption of an exogenous equilibrium wage as opposed to an endogenous PC's payoff, the paper attempts to remove this assumption. Two main insights are thus provided. Firstly, that workers possess an incentive to set up PCs only under specific circumstances. Secondly, that once PCs enter a market, conditions exist under which they are stable against the temptation to dismiss members to hire fixed-wage workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 31925.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Producer Co-operatives; Wages; Self-employment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
- M51 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Firm Employment Decisions; Promotions
- J54 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Producer Cooperatives; Labor Managed Firms
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- J5 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MARINI, Marco, 1998.
"Managers compensation and collusive behaviour under Cournot oligopoly,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1998002, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marco, Marini, 1997. "Managers Compensation and Collusive Behaviour under Cournot Oligopoly," MPRA Paper 31871, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- MARINI, Marco & ZEVI, Alberto, .
"The reform of the Western European co-operative legislation: a first assessment from a bargaining point of view,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1367, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marini Marco & Zevi Alberto, 1998. "The Reform of the Western European Co-operative Legislation: a First Assessment from a Bargaining Point of View," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 83-104.
- MARINI, Marco & ZEVI, Alberto, 1995. "The Reform of the Western European Cooperative Legislation : A First Assessment from a Bargaining Point of View," CORE Discussion Papers 1995022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Derek C. JONES, 1975. "British Producer Cooperatives And The Views Of The Webbs On Participation And Ability To Survive," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 23-44, 01.
- Ben-ner, Avner, 1984. "On the stability of the cooperative type of organization," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 247-260, September.
- Ben-Ner, Avner, 1988. "Comparative empirical observations on worker-owned and capitalist firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 7-31, March.
- Bonin, John P & Jones, Derek C & Putterman, Louis, 1993. "Theoretical and Empirical Studies of Producer Cooperatives: Will Ever the Twain Meet?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1290-320, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.