One numerical procedure for two risk factors modeling
AbstractWe propose a numerical procedure for the pricing of financial contracts whose contingent claims are exposed to two sources of risk: the stock price and the short interest rate. More precisely, in our pricing framework we assume that the stock price dynamics is described by the Cox, Ross Rubinstein (CRR, 1979) binomial model under a stochastic risk free rate, whose dynamics evolves over time accordingly to the Black, Derman and Toy (BDT, 1990) one-factor model. To this aim, we set the hypothesis that the instantaneous correlation between the trajectories of the future stock price (conditional on the current value of the short rate) and of the future short rate is zero. We then apply the resulting stock price dynamics to evaluate the price of a simple contract, i.e. of a stock option. Finally, we compare the derived price to the price of the same option under different pricing models, as the traditional Black and Scholes (1973) model. We expect that, the difference in the two prices is not sensibly large. We conclude showing in which cases it should be helpful to adopt the described model for pricing purposes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 30859.
Date of creation: 10 May 2011
Date of revision:
option pricing; stochastic short rate model; binomial tree;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- C65 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Miscellaneous Mathematical Tools
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-25 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1980. "Analyzing Convertible Bonds," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 907-929, November.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1976. "The pricing of equity-linked life insurance policies with an asset value guarantee," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 195-213, June.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Lee, Sang-bin, 1986. " Term Structure Movements and Pricing Interest Rate Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1011-29, December.
- Rabinovitch, Ramon, 1989. "Pricing Stock and Bond Options when the Default-Free Rate is Stochastic," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 447-457, December.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Yong-Jin Kim & Naoto Kunitomo, 1999. "Pricing Options under Stochastic Interest Rates: A New Approach," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 49-70, January.
- Kaushik I. Amin & Robert A. Jarrow, 1992. "Pricing Options On Risky Assets In A Stochastic Interest Rate Economy," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(4), pages 217-237.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Bacinello, Anna Rita & Ortu, Fulvio, 1996. "Fixed income linked life insurance policies with minimum guarantees: Pricing models and numerical results," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 235-249, June.
- Alan Brace & Dariusz G�atarek & Marek Musiela, 1997. "The Market Model of Interest Rate Dynamics," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 127-155.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.